twenty six

"i can't believe she did that." i whispered to jack as we strolled down the paint aisle.

"it's weird, honestly, but it's sam we're talking about." jack said. i turned around and raised my eyebrows.

"did sam cheat on me when you brought him on tour?"

jack sighed. "he didn't, rose."

i turned back around. "i didn't ever think sam would get someone pregnant, especially carly of all people."

"yeah, you're right."

i decided on a very light blue and an ice white color that would go in thick stripes in our living room. our house was going in a "beach house" kind of direction, despite no beaches around in tuscaloosa. i was feeling a little homesick, and making it seem like a beach house would relax me.

📍Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Liked by @jackgilinsky, @ewilkinson, and 12,233 others @roseventura: our first house together ❤️  @jackj: proud of u both! will come down soon @ewilkinson: holy shit 😍@jackgilinsky: i love u baby@roseventura: @jackgilinsky ❤️

@roseventura: our first house together ❤️
@jackj: proud of u both! will come down soon
@ewilkinson: holy shit 😍
@jackgilinsky: i love u baby
@roseventura: @jackgilinsky ❤️

-
2 months later

being back in los angeles for the holidays felt strange.

strange because in other parts of the world, like alabama, there was snow. in california, there was simply overcast along with the temperature being in the low seventies.

we arrived at my house on christmas eve at around six pm, the lawn lined with golden moving reindeer and house full of twinkling golden lights, the christmas tree my parents set up being on display in our front window. i smiled to myself.

"they did a good job." jack acknowledged, teasing at my crappy christmas tree at our home in alabama.

"they always do."

we entered the house, relatives from both my mother's family and father's family sitting all around the house.

"rosie!" my grandma called, holding her arms out and rushing to me.

"hola abuela!" i laughed, pulling her into my arms.

"este es tu novio?" she questioned, jack smiling awkwardly.

"sí."

"y te quiere mucho?"

i look at jack. "muy mucho."

"welcome to our family, jack." she smiled at him, embracing him as well.

"jade and bryce are coming by, she texted me this morning." my mom said even before a hello, also bringing me into her arms.

"awesome."

my dad came into the room.

"rosalina!"

"hi dad," i laughed, pulling him into my arms.

"jack." my dad nodded in jack's direction.

"hi mr. ventura." jack nodded back, taking my hand in his. "i'd like to talk to you, actually."

"alright then."

jack and my father walk off together and i'm left confused, but before i could think too much, the doorbell rings.

"JADE!" i screamed, jumping into her arms as soon as i saw it was her. bryce grinned and gave me a hug as soon as i separated from jade.

"where's jack?" jade asked me, looking around.

"he's talking to my dad." i sighed. "it's christmas eve, what can they be talking about?"

"maybe jack didn't get you a gift." she shrugged, the three of us sitting down on an empty couch.

"he did, it's in alabama at our house." i replied. "i don't know what it can be."

jack finally came over and sat down like nothing happened.

"so what'd i miss?" jack asked.

"what'd you miss? what did i miss?" i asked him.

"it's a surprise baby." jack said, wrapping his arm around me.

"oookay." i rolled my eyes, wrapping my arms around him.

-

after a rather awkward dinner, we all gathered in the living room to unwrap presents. my dad would put on a santa hat and pass gifts around the room with whoever's name was on the present.

"this gift is for rosalina from both jack and i." my dad said, handing the small wrapped box over to me. "open it last, hija."

i nodded and held it. is it a cartier bracelet? something super expensive that jack asked for my dad's help on?

i unwrapped all of my presents, leaving the box my dad instructed me to for last.

"rose, can you come over here for a second?" jade asked.

"uh, sure."

i walked over to her and she leaned over to my ear. "i think i know what it is."

a loud gasp was heard over the room and when i turned around, jack was on one knee.

"oh my god, this is not happening." i breathed, my heart nearly stopping in my chest.

"rosalina ventura, will you be my wife?"

i looked to my dad and he nodded, a smile on his face.

"yes, jack. i would love to."

the ring slid onto my finger and the tears all started to pour at once.

"this is what you needed to talk to him about?" i laughed nervously, wiping my tears.

"yes, i needed his permission." he said, wiping his eyes as well.

"are you crying?"

"maybe it's the onions."

i laughed and pulled him into my arms again.

"jack gilinsky, i'm going to be your wife."

"i like the sound of that."