forty two

engagement party

mason was with my cousin lexi, who was studying to become an rn. we had the party at my parent's place, letting lexi stay at jack and i's place.

"this is to being with the love of my life." jack slurred, making his fifth toast of the night.

i giggled and swallowed all of it, the vodka burning my throat. while our parents thought it was champagne, jack and i had vodka. dealing with both of our families meeting and talking was a disaster. sam's family was invited too, and it admittedly hurt to see his dad talk to mine.

i shouldn't be so hurt, even years later, about sam. i could only think that he should be here, celebrating with us. i thought of jokes he'd crack, drinks he'd drink, hell even friends or cousins of mine he'd try to get with.

he hadn't came to my dreams in two years. it stopped one night, no warning, no goodbye. i stopped eagerly going to sleep after i realized he wouldn't be coming back. it hurt. it felt like the first time all over again.

jack and i both knocked back shots after shots and finally we went upstairs to my old room, which was converted into an office. we locked the door and started smoking out of the window.

"to marriage."

"to marriage." i slurred, blowing the smoke out. "and alcohol. let's go back downstairs."

i didn't care about the hangover i'd have tomorrow, i cared about enjoying this party and a child free night the best i could. lexi could handle mason.

jack and i went downstairs and jade shook her head at us, laughing.

"i can smell you both from here."

i winced and went out to the backyard, where jack's sisters were.

"hey rose." molly grinned. i knew she smelled us.

"hey sisssttaaa!" jack said femininely, wrapping his arm around her.

"ew, get off of me." she joked, shoving him.

"rose, babe." jack yanked me aside, causing his sisters to laugh. "you look so sexy."

"really?"

"okay, rose you go upstairs, jack stay down here." jade commanded. i rolled my eyes but followed her orders, trudging up the stairs and falling onto my parents bed.

"sam?"

"i don't have a lot of time." he said, grabbing my face and kissing me. i felt it. i felt every part of it, the familiarity of his lips tingling against mine.

"it's been two years, where have you been?" i pulled away, searching his face.

oh how i missed that face.

"i haven't.. been able." he breathed, holding me close.

"don't let me wake up, sam."

"you have to. you're going to soon. jack's coming. i love you, rose, so very much."

"i love you."

"please don't marry him."

"sam, you don't have a say." i retorted.

"rose, please." he begged. i shook my head sadly.

"i'm marrying jack. i love him."

sam balled his fists and i pulled back for a second, curious if i could even get hurt in a dream.

"i'll come back tonight when you go to sleep — really sleep. okay?"

i nodded and he kissed me again.

i woke up to jack's lips on mine, instantly feeling guilt.

"he's.. he's back." i pushed jack off, getting a confused look.

"who?"

"sam. he's back. he - he told me ..." i stopped, knowing it would hurt jack. instead, i just kissed him again. he's too drunk to notice, but the dream had sobered me up a little.

our lips moved together sloppily and hard, clothes being ripped off and bodies pressing together. neither of us cared that our families were downstairs, or that they'd come look for us eventually.

we didn't have time for this anymore.

moans fell from my mouth as he thrusted into me, my hands tangling in his hair and his arms wrapped tightly around my torso.

he came undone and i sighed, pulling the blankets up to my chest.

"we just fucked in my parents bed."

jack laughed. "wanna do it again?"

i giggled and crawled back on top of him.

-

jade drove both jack and i home and we instantly crashed, my eyes instantly seeing sam.

"rose."

it hurt to see him. it hurt to know he planned on marrying me and i had pushed him out of my life, pushed him to get on a flight that ended his life.

"sammy."

he hugged me once more. "i know you went to where i asked you to. look at your damn finger, rose, that was my engagement ring. now you're wearing his."

i couldn't take it anymore.

"sam, why do you keep coming? i don't need to feel responsible for the guilt of you dying  anymore. i can't control an airplane." i yelled at him, regretting it instantly.

"i'll stop if you ask."

"no, i.. don't."

i couldn't push him out again. dead or alive, i love sam.

i talked to him about wedding plans until i woke up in the morning.

an:

three chapters in one night?! i'm on a roll lol but i have decided where this story is going and ending and it is ending very soon. thank you all for reading and please vote and share!:)