forty

jack's pov

it was the same way every time.

"she told me i was better, you know." sam said after a moment of silence. i rolled my eyes.

"yeah right."

"do you promise you'll be good to her? and mason?" he asked, for the millionth time.

"yes, sam." i groaned. "you ask this every night. go see rose or something. you're bothering me."

"rose is awake with mason." he sing songed. "you know, jack, it should've been you. i should be where you are."

that was it.

"shut the fuck up, sam. it isn't my fault that you died! it's the damn airline, okay? and your family sued them. they got the money, they're using it on your son."

"i know." he replied. we both sat quietly and i hoped that rose would come wake me up soon so i didn't have to deal with sam anymore.

he comes every night. no fail. he tells me he's sorry some nights, but other times he wants to tell me that rose is his. i hope when he moves on he goes to -

i sat up, rose looking down at me curiously.

"sam?" she questioned, holding sleeping mason close to her.

"yeah. i'll watch mason so he can bother you." i joked, sitting up. 5:18 AM.

great.

rose's pov

i didn't understand why sam still came to jack. it was causing a lot of strain on us, even more than the baby was. jack woke up mad often. other times, he'd pull me into his chest and tell me how much he loves me and doesn't want to lose me.

the next morning, i was in a good mood. i had talked to sam about something very important. it involved me going back to la when summer came.. in a month. i couldn't tell jack why, but i had to leave mason with my parents and go somewhere very specific. i wrote down the directions i was told and hid them in a box in the closet, for when i'd need them.

"rose?" jack called from the kitchen. i was surprised that he was even awake, but i didn't question it. he was holding mason, who had applesauce on his mouth. i stifled a laugh.

"what is happening out here?" i laughed, looking from jack to mason.

"he uh... really likes apples."

i laughed and took mason into my arms. i already noticed features of skyler coming through into mason's own features, causing me to feel a slight pang of sadness. my baby would never know his real father. he doesn't need him. skyler didn't deserve to know him.

i set mason on his belly on a blanket with his toys in reach and he held himself up, looking towards his toys.

"come on mase!" i cooed, sitting in reach of his toys as well. he babbled in response, jack sitting beside me as well.

a knock at the door followed by a ring at the doorbell caused us both to jump. jack stood up without word and i turned back to mason, watching him contently.

"hello, does rose ventura live here?" i heard a voice.

"um, who are you?" jack asked. i protectively scooted to hide mason, even though whoever it was couldn't see either of us.

"i'm brayden desmarais. skyler's little brother. i'm sure she knows who he is."

my heart stopped. brayden was in bootcamp my whole relationship with skyler. he planned to go to the marines as soon as he was out...