15

As the water ran down my body, I heard Allie scream from downstairs. I turned the shower off, put on a towel, and ran downstairs. She was standing with the door wide open, holding an envelope in her hands. I could tell that it was from a college, but I couldn't tell which one.

"Allie, I thought you were hurt." I said and chuckled.
"I'm sorry for screaming babe. You can go back up to your shower." Allie said.
"It's fine Allie. I want to see if you got in." I said and smiled.
"Okay." She said and nervously ripped open the envelope.

She pulled out a paper and read it silently. Her face lit up when she got to the end.

"I was accepted to the pre-veterinary program at the university of Montana." Allie said and smiled.
"I'm so proud of you babe." I said and smiled.

I lifted her up and spun her around. Allie giggled and I sat her down.

"Kyle, are you going to go to college?" Allie asked.
"I don't know baby." I answered.
"I really want you to come to the University of Montana with me." She said softly.
"Allie, I haven't got an acceptance later yet. But, I can always move there with you and not go to college. We can get a house together." I told her.
"It's 7 hours from here." Allie said quietly.
"Did you apply anywhere else?" I asked.
"Yes, but UM is my dream school." She said.
"Allie, I don't want to keep you from your dreams. I want you to go to UM." I said and I could feel tears forming in my eyes.
"I'm not going to leave you kyle." Allie cried.
"Don't cry. We still have several months to figure things out." I said and hugged her.

The next day, I got a letter from UM. The sad thing is, I wasn't accepted. I hid the letter, so Allie wouldn't ask questions. When my parents got home, I filled them in on my dilemma. They told me that I should let Allie do whatever she wants to, and that I shouldn't get in her way.

"Allie." I said and knocked on her bedroom door.

She opened it and pulled me inside, locking the door behind me.

"Kyle, I found out some bad news today." She said softly.
"What is it?" I asked.
"I can't go to UM because I can't afford it. My fucking father used all of my college savings." Allie said and cried.
"I'm so sorry baby girl." I said and pulled her to me.

Allie cried into my chest for what seemed like forever. I don't know what to say to her because nothing I say will make her savings reappear. This whole situation just gives me another reason to hate her father's guts. How can you do that to your child????