Rainbow Connection

"Who said that wishes would be heard and answered when wished on the morning star?"

Days passed in routine: wake up, maybe eat, look for Sophia, maybe eat, sleep, repeat. I lost track of the number of days. Daryl and I never really spoke after our encounter in the woods that day. Matter of fact, we haven't talked since. It's funny, I've barely spoken at all in these past however-many days that I almost began to forget the sound of my own voice. There would be times when we'd both be out searching and somehow cross paths in the woods. At first, Daryl tried to get some type of conversation going. He'd ask if I found anything or tell me he didn't find anything his way. I'd just look away from him and continue on my way. It hurt me, don't get me wrong, but like I said, I wasn't treating this like some picture-perfect love story. Now, on the rare occurrences that we do cross paths, we quickly lock gazes but then look down to the ground, silently walking past one another. The whole group just had this overwhelming aura of despair. Rick was trying his hardest to keep everyone optimistic and hopeful. To tell you the truth, I don't believe he thinks Sophia is alive. I'm not even sure myself but if I'm hopeful about anything, it's that.

I'm back in the abandoned pickup truck sitting in the bed. I had no desire to do anything, so that's what I did. I just sat. The group all sat together around their makeshift fire eating dinner. I wasn't hungry, as usual, and I just wanted no part of them or their company. It was a feeling that I couldn't explain and the uncertainty of my emotions scared me. They'd always get unusually quiet at this time. It always felt like they were staring at me, talking about me. It didn't bother me, they were probably concerned or worried which I respect and take to heart.

Shane had come over with a can of beans for me. "Come on, Belle, you gotta eat," he told me as he handed me the food.

I groaned in slight frustration. "If I take it will you leave me alone?"

"Maybe," Shane said. I rolled my eyes grabbing the can from him and placing it next to me. "You doing okay?" he asked while crossing his arms and laying them along the edge of the truck bed.

"I don't see why you care," I said, looking him in the eye.

He sighed. "Look, I know what I did was wrong and shitty, but I do feel bad about it. We need you, you're smart, you got a good head on your shoulders. So to keep you with the group, we gotta make sure you're okay." He paused for a moment. "And," he said, "you did save my life even after I was a complete asshole to you."

The corners of my mouth upturned slightly as I mumbled a small, "Yeah." I took in a quick breath, enjoying this small moment of rejuvenation and freshness. "Well I'm sorry for punching you...several times. And for some of the shit I've said. But you're very fucking welcome for saving your ass."

Shane chuckled, causing me to do the same. "Well come on," he said nodding towards the can by my side, "we need you healthy." He gave a quick pat to the side of the truck before heading back to the group.

The next morning, I was getting ready to go on my daily search when Carl stopped me. "Belle," he said. I turned around and knelt down to his level with a smile.

"What's up, bud?"

"I want to go with you," he said. I bit my lip looking over the boy's shoulder, locking eyes with Rick.

"That, my dear, is up to your father," I told him.

Carl gave a slight nod before running to Rick, asking if he could go. He took a couple glances between his son and I before nodding and talking to Shane briefly, assuming he was telling him about Carl. The three boys walked up to me.

"We'll all go with you," Rick said as they approached me.

"Well, well, the calvary is here," I said before we went off on our search.