All I Want

"You know to keep your hopes up high and your head down low."

I walked into the house, kicking the door shut behind me. I sighed, tossing my keys on the small kitchen table.

"Dad, I'm home," I called to my father.

"In here, sweetie," he called from his place in the living room. I walked in to find him sitting on the couch watching TV while scribbling down notes for work.

"How was it today?" he asked. I sighed again.

"Y'know, same old same old. The boss got a new kid today."

"Oh yeah? How'd that go?" my father asked as he leaned back against the couch cushions, removing his glasses and tossing them with his disheveled papers. I sat alongside him.

"Good. His name is Carl. Said his mom died." My father nodded. "I'm gonna go get a drink, need anything?" I asked him as I stood.

"Nah, I'm good." I gave a nod before going back to the kitchen. 

I opened the fridge, browsing my options for a drink. Finding nothing, I closed the door with a roll of my eyes before grabbing a glass and filling it at the tap. I held onto the counter, shutting my eyes as I took a few sips. I let out a sigh of exhaustion, the last bits of energy from the day slowly fading. I turned around as I opened my eyes. 

Dad stumbled into the room, dead as a door nail. I dropped my glass, water and shattered pieces scattering everywhere as my dad grabbed my shoulders and took a bite out of my neck. I screamed, but no sound came out. I watched as my muscles and tendons stretched from my body and became entangled in his teeth. I felt no pain, but I panicked. 

I opened my eyes, meeting the cool concrete floors of the Georgia prison. My heart was thumping so fast, it almost hurt. I glanced down noticing Daryl's and I's hands still loosely connected. I let out a sigh in an attempt the control my breathing. It was still relatively gray throughout the cell block indicating it was still early. I carefully slid away from Daryl's hold, quietly stealing the block keys from Rick to unlock the door.

I stood outside in the early morning air; couldn't really say it was all that fresh, though. I leaned against the wall looking out across the field. Walkers' growls filled the air along with the rattling of the chain link fence as they piled up to it. 

I thought back to my dream; Dad bit me, but was alive just seconds before. And Carl said Lori died. It was strange, to say the least. I guess dream worlds are never really made to make sense. 

After a while everyone had woken up and began gearing up to clear the lower levels. I told Rick I didn't want to be on the clearing team. After that dream, I was too distracted. I'd be more useful zoning out in front of walkers if they were behind a damn fence. There was no way I was dying in this prison. After much arguing, he finally agreed. We came to the agreement that Beth and I were gonna be "cleaning up" the fences while others stayed in or helped clear. I told Daryl to be careful, he told me to do the same. And so on.

After a while, single members of the group emerged one by one. Carl stared at the ground blankly. Maggie held Lori's baby in her arms as she sobbed. What the hell happened in there?  We all gravitated towards one another as the sounds of the walkers seemed to fade out. Rick soon emerged, looking as confused as I was. 

"Where's Lori?" he asked. He walked over to Maggie and then over to Carl. Holy fucking shit, I thought. My eyes widened slightly as the realization hit me. "Oh, no," Rick cried, leaning over next to Carl. I saw a tear fall down his son's cheek. I took a step towards Carl, my arm slightly stretched to hold his shoulder. He looked farther away from me and stepped aside, clearly wanting nothing to do with me. I stopped, my heart dropping to my stomach. Rick sobbed, falling to the ground and rolling onto his back, covering his eyes with his arm.