BLUE

"In the clouds, where the angels sing. In your arms, where I wanna be."

I slowly became aware of my jagged breaths, prying my eyelids open. Hershel was sitting beside me holding a bag valve mask to my mouth, supplying and assisting me with the oxygen I needed. 

"Just a few more minutes and you can ask all the questions you need," he told me, undoubtedly catching the curiosity in my eyes. I nodded slightly, letting myself focus on my inhales and exhales. I didn't even remember passing out. Everything after I left the death chamber was a blur, although there were fragments I could piece together. I remember coughing so much I was choking on my own blood. I remember Sasha and Hershel dragging me out. I remember Daryl breaking down. I barely remember getting back to my cell.

"Okay," Hershel said, interrupting my rambling thoughts and pulling the mask from me, "you have questions. I can tell."

I had so many questions I didn't know where to start. "What happened?" I asked faintly.

"You got a bit worked up and couldn't calm yourself down," Hershel explained. "You started choking on your own blood which made it harder for oxygen intake, making you faint."

"Sasha was there, too."

"She came in yesterday," Hershel nodded. 

"Is Daryl okay?"

"No. He wants to see you but I told him you need to rest. That coughing fit took a toll on you and you're one of the worst ones we got in here right now. We need to make sure you're safe enough before leaving again." I nodded, understanding everything he said. I was silent for a moment, pondering any other questions I had.

"Am I gonna die?" I asked quietly.

"You've been in here for a little while. You haven't gotten worse but you haven't gotten better. The best we can do is have a little faith."

I closed my eyes with a sigh. I thanked Hershel for all his help. He told me to stay rested and hydrated before leaving to tend to the other sick people. 

I was in and out of consciousness, which wasn't too out of the ordinary for me as of late. I never knew of the time. I never knew if the so-felt five minutes of sleep I got was five minutes or five hours. I'd wake up in the same position nearly every time, sometimes facing opposite sides. I hated sleeping without Daryl. I needed the comfort, the security. 

Waking up from another insufficient amount of sleep, I rubbed my eyes and sat up. At the foot of my bed sat my father. He looked healthy; his chest and torso full, brown hair radiant atop his head, his eyes as bright as I remembered them. I was fully aware I was hallucinating.

"Hey, sweetheart,"  he said to me with his bright, happy smile.

"Hi, Dad," I replied with the same smile.

"How'd you end up here, sweetpea?" he asked.

"World went to shit. This was the best refuge we got."

"We? Who else did you bring?"

"Daryl," I said. His face dropped a bit. "We also met a bunch of people and they're amazing."