Yesterday

"Suddenly, I'm not half the man I used to be. There's a shadow hanging over me."

Though I clearly didn't show it, I was excited to see Maggie. I missed her. Negan had taken large parts of both of us, although her circumstances were different. Then again, I really don't know if Daryl's alive over there. Sure, I saw him. But what about after that?

I kept my head down, trying my best to keep it together. It was way easier said than done these days. I really don't know how I've managed. Michonne walked close to my side as we entered the gates of Hilltop, making sure to remind me I had a support system. I leaned into her as Rick hugged Maggie. She soothingly ran her hand up and down my arm as she held me.

Maggie came and stood in front of me once she and Rick dispersed. I looked up at her with heavy eyes. She wore a small smile but I could see the same feeling in her eyes, too. Beaten-down. She frowned slightly as she held my face, gently tucking some hair behind my ear with her other hand.

"Hi, honey," she greeted warmly. The tears were quick to come back again, though this time it was because of the secure feeling she brought me. I even managed to smile a little bit. I hugged her tightly.

"I miss you," I told her. She squeezed me a little tighter.

"I miss you, too. How're you feeling?"

"Like shit," I replied with a small huff. She laughed with me. "You, too?" She nodded somberly.

"Me, too."

Maggie then turned to hug Michonne after we dispersed. I sniffled, wiping my nose and gaining my composure. My eyes trailed the dirt, finding Jesus' dirty shoes, another pair right by him. As I fully looked up, it felt like everything stopped.

Daryl was here. He was at Hilltop.

The tears were inevitable. I was in shock and beyond relieved. He's not being tortured anymore. He's with our friends. He's being taken care of. He's in a place where Negan won't expect him and he's safe. That's all I could ever want.

I sobbed as I ran to him. Hell, I practically sprinted. And he was ready and waiting for me.

I jumped into him a bit harshly but neither of us cared. In fact, it didn't even feel close enough. I held onto the back of his head, carding my fingers through his hair as I wrapped my legs tightly around his waist. His arms gripped me securely, hands losing their scared tremor. He rested his head against me and mine against him. God, I just needed to feel him.

Daryl dropped to his knees, never once loosening his grip. My legs dropped from his waist so I could sit on my knees with him. I pulled my head back slightly so I could look at him. I moved my hands around every inch of his face while tears flowed from my eyes.

"Is it really you?" I stupidly asked. It just seemed too good to be true.

"It's me, B," he nodded.

"Punch me so I know I'm not dreaming."

D and I chuckled at that. He brought his hands to cup my cheeks as he kissed me with everything he had. He rested his forehead against mine when he pulled away.

"God, you're so stupid," he chided. I laughed and pecked his lips before hugging him tightly once again.

As I looked up, I saw my group of friends watching us with happy smiles. I knew this moment of sunshine would be brief, but I'm so grateful we could all enjoy it together. I locked eyes with Maggie and Jesus and mouthed, "Thank you."

Eventually, everyone dispersed--Rick and Michonne going off with Maggie and Jesus to do whatever we came here to do. After all of this, I can't even remember. Daryl tugged on my hand and pulled me to a trailer he was staying in. He was quiet, his hands still shook slightly when they weren't touching me. I didn't know how to make him better. I don't even think there's a way.