Safe Inside

"Don't leave me this way, I won't sleep till you're safe inside."

I don't know how or why, but I slept for a long time. I didn't even know where I was, what day it was, who I was. When I woke up, I just existed. I seemed to drift through the few hours after that, still trying to grasp onto reality. I was distant, quiet, neurotic. I was worried about Carl - Hershel and Rick told me he was doing fine - and I just wanted him to be awake and to talk to me. He made me forget what a shitty world this is and the dangers of the undead and even the living. Although, it didn't seem to matter now. Part of me hoped and knew Rick would stand in my defense on Lori's decision to keep Carl away from me. Rick understood. 

I was worried about Sophia. I still had hope she was alive but it was fading fast and that killed me more and more every day. Carol needs her, she's something that can't be replaced. Not in this world or this life. 

The next day I felt "back to normal." I was more present, out and about, helping, vocal. Glenn had much-appreciatively filled me in on some minor details in the wonderful life of Sir Rhee. He did quite enlighten me on his feelings for Maggie, which made me happy for him since love and relationships seems like it'd be nonexistent in this life. Not only that, but, to put it simply, they banged, which earned him a hard punch in the shoulder from yours truly. An encouraging punch, nonetheless. And, my personal favorite, Lori asked him for pregnancy tests. What a fantastic way to fuel the fire. That was how I break Shane, no questions asked.

By mid-afternoon, I was helping wash dishes in the kitchen with Beth, the youngest of the Greene's. We made small talk. She was a small, quaint, shy girl who had a heart of gold. We bonded over our enjoyment of singing. I told her mine was more of a pastime, nothing anyone really knew about. Her, on the other hand, would constantly sing around and with her family. She was sweet and caring, a great helper around the house. I hoped she'd be able to find some good in this world of fear because she deserved it.

At one point, a gunshot rang through the windows of the house, causing both of our heads to dart up and look out the window. I could make out a stumbling body coming out of the forest, but I didn't think it was a walker. Then I remembered that Daryl went out everyday looking for Sophia. I dropped the plate in my hand back in the sink as I ran outside. As they got closer, I noticed Rick and Shane nearly carrying this person back to the house in urgency. And of course, it was Daryl. His head was bleeding profusely and his side was also stained with blood. I looked up at Andrea, who was on watch and holding a shotgun, as I felt nothing but anger fuel my body. 

"What the fuck is wrong with you?!" I screamed at the top of my lungs as I bolted for the ladder to the roof. "You could have killed him! I don't know if he's fucking dead! Learn how to fucking shoot, you bitch!" I made it up a few steps of the ladder before strong arms wrapped around my waist pulling me as far away from Andrea as possible. I was kicking and writhing and screaming. My throat began to burn and I was crying. "I swear to God if you kill him I'm gonna kill you, if it's the last thing I ever fucking do!"

She looked utterly terrified. Hell, everyone did. I had an easy temper, but man, this only happened if you really made me mad. And the thing is, yeah I was mad, but I was fucking terrified. Daryl was the only thing I had from my life before all this, the only one I've had all my life. Fuck, I'm in love with him. And if you take that away...I don't want to know what that's like. 

I stopped kicking and screaming, my voice just fucking thrashed. Whoever held me loosened their grip, allowing me to fall to my knees. They moved to the front of me, also sitting on their knees. I looked up through my clouded eyes to see Glenn looking back with such sorrow. I hugged him tightly, crying into his shoulder. Loud, hard, pained sobs burned my throat.