A Kind Of Magic

"One golden glance of what should be."

I managed to finally sleep through the night for the first time in a long time. I was still groggy considering I've lost copious amounts of sleep I'll never get back, but at the same time, I felt refreshed. Daryl had already left to work on his bike. I wasn't sure when he and Aaron were gonna go out scouting. 

A few soft knocks at my front door drew my attention away from the stray doodles I was doing. I hadn't drawn in so long, it felt strange to be doing it again.

"Hey, bud," I greeted with a smile as Carl stood on the porch with Judith in his arms. "And look at you, my little ass kicker! You're getting so big." I reached for her, Carl allowing me to steal his sister.

"She's been asking for 'Bah-Bah.' Guess that's the closest she is to saying 'Belle'," Carl informed me. I smiled down at the toddler on my hip.

"Oh, my baby," I cooed. "I haven't really seen her in so long. I'm surprised she even knew who I was." 

"She's a smart cookie," Carl shrugged.

"Well, come on. Let's walk around a bit. It's nice out and we don't need to stay hidden back here," I told him as I stepped onto the porch, shutting the door behind me.

"I thought that's why you wanted this house in the first place," Carl teased. I nudged him with my hip, sending him stumbling a few steps to the side.

"How are you, little man?" I asked. "I feel like I haven't seen you in forever."

"You know, I'm not that little anymore," he complained. I rolled my eyes. "But I've been good. I like it here."

"Yeah? Meet anyone cool yet?"

"Kinda. I've met a few kids my age. This kid, Ron, is kind of an asshole. This girl, Enid, is pretty cool, though. But she doesn't talk much."

"I'm sure she just needs to warm up to you a bit more. Everyone has their reasons for the way they are." 

"Yeah," Carl nodded. "How are you doing?"

"I'm a lot better. Still getting there, but better," I answered. It warmed my heart that he asked. 

"I'm sorry you had to see me like that," I mumbled. "You shouldn't have had to."

"It's alright. I'm glad I found you. You shouldn't have to go through stuff like that alone."

"I know, Carl, but...you're still young and I shouldn't be your responsibility."

"I'm not that young anymore, Belle," Carl said. "I've seen things no kid should see and done things no one should do. Things are a lot different than how they used to be. You're my friend and an important part of my life and I want to be around for you."

I looked over at the not-so-young boy. He's grown up so incredibly much and I'm so proud of who he has become. I can't even tell you how many adults I've come across who can't grasp his train of thought, let alone a sixteen-year-old. Yeah, I'm sure that's how old he is now...? Somewhere around there.

"Thanks, Squish. I really appreciate it. Go out and make friends. I got Judith. Love you." I kissed his temple before he went off in a different direction.

I sat on Rick's front steps with Little Ass Kicker. I seriously couldn't believe how big she's gotten. She has teeth now and is babbling. It's crazy how much time has passed and how normal this lifestyle has become. 

"Stah-ee," she kept sputtering between her chubby fingers stuffed in her mouth.

"You want a story?" I asked playfully. She smiled in return. I glanced around as if I were thinking of a scenario for her entertainment. I noticed Daryl working on his bike a number of feet away.

"Once upon a time," I began, "there was a little boy named Christopher Robin. Every day, he'd go out and play in the Hundred Acre Wood with all of his friends: a bear named Winnie the Pooh, a piglet named Piglet, a tiger named Tigger, a donkey named Eeyore, a rabbit named Rabbit, and an owl named Owl. 

"Pooh loved to eat honey. He would eat honey all day and he loved to play with his best friend,  Christopher. And when Christopher was gone, he played with Piglet. 

"Piglet was a little pig who was easily frightened. But Pooh would always be by his side and tell him he was brave. He loved to eat acorns.

"Tigger loved to bounce. T-I-double G-Er." I stood up with Judith, bouncing her along with me. "He even had a special song he would sing: The wonderful thing about Tigger's is Tigger's a wonderful thing. Their tops are made out of rubber, their bottoms are made out of springs. They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy. Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun. But the most wonderful thing about Tigger's is I'm the only one."

Judith giggled in my arms as I laughed along with her. I looked up and noticed Daryl had completely stopped everything he was doing as he watched us. He stood with a small smile adorning his lips.

"Now, Eeyore," I continued, "was always sad. He would always talk super slow, and pout, and sit around." I slowed my words to exaggerate the story and flopped to the ground, letting Judith lie on top of me. "Christopher Robin tried to cheer him up, and so did all the other friends in the Wood, but most of the time, Eeyore was sad.

"Rabbit liked to garden. He liked to grow carrots. Both Rabbit and Owl were very smart.

"One day, Christopher Robin had to start school. That was a place where he learned new things, and he couldn't come to the Wood. Pooh and his friends became frightened and set out on a journey to save their friend. Owl drew them a map and they went through the Hundred Acre Wood to find Christopher.

"Their journey was filled with dangers and spooky things. They had never seen the Wood without Christopher before. They had to watch out for heffalumps, which were big, elephant-like creatures that roamed the dark parts of the Hundred Acre Wood."

I put Judith on my shoulders as I stomped around. She continued to giggle away and it warmed my heart.

"They traveled on, and on, and on. They got lost, felt scared, and felt not smart. They wanted to give up but always remembered how much Christopher Robin believed in them.

"Once they all had begun to work together, they faced their fears. They fought the scary heffalumps and won. And after that, they found Christopher. He was safe and happy and he told them that he had to go to school every day, but he would always come back to the Wood to play. The end."

Judith finished giggling and clapped her hands together. She had the brightest smile that could melt the sun itself. I loved this. I loved spending time with her and being a child.

"Gan, gan," she pleaded, wanting more stories. I was out of breath from just this one. I didn't know if I could do another.

"What is this silliness I hear?" Rick asked as he stepped out of his house. I picked up Judith as I met him.

"We just had a fun storytime," I informed him, slowly regaining my breath.

"Gan," Judith pleaded again.

"Later, Judith. You need to nap," Rick told his daughter. She pouted and refused to go into his outstretched arms.

"Hey," I whispered to her, "I promise we will have more stories, but right now, you gotta sleep. Do that for Bah-Bah?" She smiled and nodded, leaning over to go to Rick.

"Thank you," he said to me as his daughter rested against him.

"No problem. Whenever you need a story, you know where to find me."

"Sure thing," Rick chuckled before bringing Judith inside.

I walked over to Daryl. He had begun working on his bike again. I took the dangling cigarette from his lips, taking a drag myself before tossing it to the ground and crushing it with my boot. It was basically finished.

"I did tell you you'd be an amazing mother, didn't I?" he remarked, looking up at me. I chuckled lightly.

"You know the lack of patience I'd have for a Matthers and Dixon baby?" Daryl now chuckled at that. "They'd be the most stubborn little shit."

"Yeah, but you'd love it."

He's right, I would. As gross and as much of assholes kids can be, I loved them. And honestly, a Matthers and Dixon baby didn't sound half bad.