Old Eden

"Why'd it go wrong when it should've gone right?"

I laid in bed as I stared at my ring. I never wanted to be that bitch when she got married, but oh my, God, this ring is gorgeous. It's simple but elegant, something that's very...me.

Daryl entered our bedroom, pausing for a minute before closing the door. He watched me with a small smile. I don't think I've ever seen him so content with his life.

"Like it?" he sarcastically asked. Deep down, I'm sure he's genuinely worrying about it.

" 'S alright," I answered with a shrug. He just smiled further and shook his head.

"Asshole," he muttered. I sat up and faced him.

"Yeah, well, now I get to be your pain in the ass forever and ever."

I looked up at him with a playful smirk as Daryl sauntered over to me. There was so much peace in his eyes. I loved seeing him like this.

"You always would've been my pain in the ass," he said, grabbing my hands and pulling me off the bed.

He held me close to him, one hand resting on my hip while the other held one of mine next to us. We swayed together, gently dancing to no music. I never expected anything like this from a man like Daryl Dixon. Every so often, he'd lift our hands above my head and spin me around. I guess happiness really does something to you.

"Mrs. Dixon," he said with a small sigh, as if he was thinking out loud.

"Belle Dixon," I mumbled out.

"I always thought that would fit you."

I couldn't help but smile at his words. He's so different when he's not worrying or overthinking. I also couldn't help the tears that built up in my eyes.

"Stop, you know I'm a big baby," I whined as I wiped them away.

"My big baby," Daryl stated matter-of-factly. I rolled my eyes before he added, "Come on, it's late."

We settled in bed together, laying on our backs, side by side. Daryl grabbed my hand and looked at my ring the same way I had. He gently ran his thumb across my knuckles. I now took hold of Daryl's free hand, bringing it up next to mine. A wedding band suits him, if I do say so myself.

"You and me," I said.

"Me and you."

We remained silent for a few minutes before I asked, "How long did you have these?"

"Couple weeks," he shrugged. I stared at him, silent and with a shocked expression. "What?"

"You were looking for months and when you found the right ring you still didn't ask me?" He blushed bashfully. "Did you really think I'd say no?"

"I mean, there's always the possibility," he rambled.

"I've known since I was seven. There's really no getting rid of me now." I paused for a minute before adding, "I still can't believe you asked me to marry you."

"You really think I wouldn't have?"

"I don't know, it's not really a Daryl Dixon thing to do. But I'm really, really happy you did."

Daryl smiled at that, kissing my knuckles briefly.

"Me, too."

***

Rick had told us there was a large herd in a quarry not too far from Alexandria. A man he met back in Atlanta, Morgan, informed him of it. Rick devised a plan to lead the herd away from the area, taking a good chunk of our group and some Alexandrians with him. I decided to stay back and keep things running here. Yes, they had Deanna, but she doesn't really know how to handle things outside the community.