Comeback

"Wherever you are right now, know somehow I'll be on the way like a bat out of hell."

After some time, Negan finally came out to his truck to bring me back to Alexandria. He walked around with such swagger, Lucille always resting on his shoulder or swinging at his side. I wanted to know the meaning behind its name.

"Let's fucking rock and roll," he said as he approached me.

We were silent as we drove again. The tension was thick and annoying. I could feel his eyes constantly shifting from me and the road as I kept my gaze out my window. I heard Negan inhale as he was about to speak.

"If you say one word to me, I'm going to punch you in your fucking mouth," I threatened. He just chuckled in amusement.

We went back to our silence. Nothing but the sound of tires on a dirt road, endless trees, and a few straggling walkers.

I don't know what possessed my brain to think this, but as the minutes ticked by, I began to think about how I treated Negan. He wasn't born like this. He became the way he is. Maybe if we just talked, I could piece him together.

With a sigh, I asked, "How many?"

He glanced at me briefly with raised eyebrows. I rolled my eyes again.

"How many wives do you have?"

"Thought you didn't want me to fucking speak, doll," he remarked.

"Will you just answer the fucking question?" I huffed out, glaring briefly at the man beside me. He smiled.

"You're fun when you swear," Negan said. "But, since you so-nicely asked, I have six."

My eyes nearly jumped out of their sockets. If I had a drink, I for sure would have choked on it.

"Six?" I repeated. "What the hell did you need me for?"

"You're fucking interesting to me, doll. I want to fucking understand you."

"You do realize that you can do that without subjecting me to your own pleasure and taking me away from the person I love, right?"

"But what's the fun in that?" he chimed, that stupid grin plastered on his face.

"It's called being a normal fucking human being. Ever heard of having friends?" I pushed.

"I'm not really one for having friends, doll. And for the fucking record, I did ask each of them to be my wife. It was their fucking choice."

I remained silent at that, having nothing else to say on the matter. He had an answer for everything and it angered me. He was cocky and full of himself in the worst ways. The power has gone to his head.

"Can you just leave me outside the gates," I asked timidly.

"I'll think about it."

I closed my eyes and took a breath to calm myself down. I didn't want to say anything I'd regret.

"Please? I came without question, have done what you wanted of me, all I'm asking is for one thing in return."

"I'm keeping your fucking husband alive," he stated, keeping his eyes on the road in front of us.

"Negan," I said. I sounded so broken. It seemed to gain his attention. "Look, we all started out terribly. We have not built any type of good...well, anything, but I'm not stupid. I know that some people aren't always as bad as they seem. I know I have been a pain in the ass but please, I am asking you nicely, to just leave me outside the gates."