House of Hallways

"And the weight of it all gets enough just to crush the best out of you and me."

We studied the prison for some time, trying to create the best plan for entering. There were a lot of walkers; I mean, this is a prison. We just needed a clearance to get in, then had to clear out the courtyard and a cell block. Simple enough, right? The only downside was everything had to be hand-to-hand. We were running pretty low on ammo, but maybe here we'll hit the jackpot. 

"We'll need two groups after getting inside the fence" Rick said, "one will hit it, make as much noise as possible to draw a number of them away. You can kill 'em through the holes in the fence." He paused, looking around the group. "The others will be the ones to move in. That'll be me, Glenn, T-dog, Maggie, Daryl, and Belle." We all nodded, Daryl glancing at me briefly. Rick nodded in return. "Y'all ready?" he asked. We nodded, some of us mumbling small reassurances. Rick gave another, final stern nod. "Alright then, let's get to it." 

"I don't want you doin' this," Daryl whispered lowly to me. I pulled out my gun, checking the magazine for how many bullets I had left.

"I know," I said, "but I'm going to because I am capable, and because I-" I paused, closing the magazine and looking up at Daryl, "am a good shot." I smirked, beginning to walk off. Daryl grabbed my arm, looking at me seriously.

"Just don't be stupid, got it?"

I studied his baby blues. There was his normal stare of protectiveness and concern, but intermixed with those was fear. He was scared of what could happen to me, not him. I looked back and forth between his two orbs, taking this all in. My smirk faded, being replaced with a softer look laced with care. I nodded.

"You too, Dixon," I said softly. He gave a nod, causing my smirk to come back. I gently cupped his chin for a moment before walking away.

"Shit," someone said accompanied by the sound of cheap metal hitting the asphalt. I looked over to see Lori attempting to grab her makeshift weapon she dropped, her belly getting in the way. I rushed over, picking it up for her. She looked at me partially confused.

"Look, I know we haven't exactly been on the best of terms," I said to her, "but we gotta stick together. We ain't any use hating each other. Hating each other will get us killed." I paused briefly. "That's what got Shane killed," I said lowly.

She just looked at me, her gaze unfaltering. She looked annoyed and disgusted with me--which wasn't anything new--but she looked like she actually cared.

"Thank you," she said to me, grabbing her weapon.

"Carl," I called to the boy. He walked over to his mother and I.

"Yeah?" he asked. I bent over coming face-to-face with him. Man, he was getting taller. 

"Take care of your mom, okay, Squirt?" I smiled as I asked. He nodded. "Good," I said before kissing his cheek. That caused his "serious" walls to crack and he giggled and pushed me off him. I laughed lightly, hitting the rim of his hat before sauntering off. 

"You ready?" Rick asked me as I walked to him and the "entering group." I nodded, giving Daryl a reassuring glance. Rick nodded in response. "Let's move in," he said loudly to the group. "We stick together," he told us, "back to back so we have eyes on every angle. No one goes too far out." We all nodded. I gripped my knife tightly, my palms becoming sweaty as the anticipation grew with each step toward the gates. My heartbeat picked up, I tried taking deep breaths to call my nerves but to no avail.