Fear

"When we were children we'd say that we don't know the meaning of fear."

It all was so fast and jumbled together. First it was Dale, then Shane lost his mind again, so then it was Randall, then Rick did the unexpected, and then Carl, and then there was fire. One after another, I didn't even time to breathe. Well, at least let me explain.

Carl wandered off and found a walker stuck in a creek bed. Being the kid he is, he was pelting rocks at it, thinking that it couldn't get out. I guess its leg got free, and Carl came running back. Well, it freed itself. Dale got gorged while on a walk around the farm. Daryl mercy-killed him, telling him, "I'm sorry, brother." Bang. That was the first.

We all moved into the house for safety. Carl admitted his role in Dale's death and it was eating away at him. I didn't know how to help, I had a lot going on. I was never close with Dale but he did help me out a few times and he was a part of this group I considered family. He just wanted the best for everyone. Daryl and I were...I don't know. It was still off and on, but I didn't have the time to question it, or him, or even myself. 

Shane killed Randall, making up another lie like he did with Otis. He said Randall was on the loose, that they duked it out and he ran. Him, Rick, Daryl, and Glenn went out looking for him. Daryl and Glenn found him as a walker, his neck snapped. 

So Rick killed Shane. Said he didn't want a murder on his hands and gave Shane his gun, then stabbed him right in the heart. Killed his best friend. I couldn't imagine doing it. If someone wanted me to kill Daryl, I'd let him kill me first. I never could. But maybe this was different. Shane had completely lost his mind. Or maybe he just knew too much; much more than any of us. Carl arrived with a gun, holding it towards Rick. Unbeknownst to him, he was pointing it at Shane, who came back as dead as his heart was. Carl got a clear head shot, killing his makeshift father and his father's best friend. 

That's when the walkers came.

I don't know what it is about this group and herds, but they're always around one way or another. They swarmed the farm, anywhere you looked there was someone dead. Somehow, the barn and house caught fire. I couldn't pay attention to a single thing. I stared at the flames, the heat waving and surrounding my face. I stared in shock as  I watched some of the Greene's get eaten. 

So that's where I am now; just stuck in my place and watching. Groans of walkers and screams seemed to be the only sounds present. I held my gun and knife in my hands laid at my sides as the world around me collapsed.

"Belle!" Daryl yelled, grabbing my attention. Snapping my head in the direction of his voice, he was sitting on a running motorcycle, ready to hit it. I ran to him, pushing walkers out of my way. I threw my leg over the seat, quickly wrapping my arms around Daryl's torso. He revved the engine, speeding off away from the farm and back to the highway. I looked over my shoulder at the wreckage. How the hell did we come to this?

At a safe and far enough distance, we all regrouped on the highway  I climbed off Daryl's bike, putting my knife back in its sheath and my gun in my waistband.

"You okay?" Daryl asked me. I looked up at him and nodded. 

"Yeah. Are you?" He nodded.

As everyone arrived, they got out of the cars or trucks they were riding in. I sat on the hood of the truck T-dog, Lori, and Beth rode in. Maggie, Beth, and Hershel regrouped as a family, as did the Grimes', everyone else but myself checking in on each other. I was in ear-shot of Rick and Lori as they talked about what happened with Shane.

"I had a part in his death," Rick confessed.

"What do you mean?" she asked. I mentally rolled my eyes. The fuck else could it mean?

"He tried to kill me, more than once. He was dangerous. I...I killed him."

I glanced over as discreetly as I could. Lori looked at her husband shocked and somewhat betrayed. She struggled for words, and seemed to have a hard time looking Rick in the eyes. She looked down as she walked away from him.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I asked out loud, causing everyone, Lori included, to look at me. I hopped off the hood and slowly walked in front of her. She had a fire in her eyes, unsurprising hatred for me, and I had a fire in mine. "You're really gonna just walk away from your husband all because he killed your lover?" She just glared at me, everyone was staring. I chuckled. "I mean, shit, sucks he died but he was quite the rotten apple far off from the tree." I paused slightly as she continued glaring. I smiled, licking my bottom lip slowly. "But, man, ignoring the man you promised you'd love forever, in sickness and in health, blah, blah, blah, all because he killed the man you cheated with, that is some fucky shit right there."

Lori wasted no time slapping me across the face. A few people rushed towards us to break this up, but I wasn't finished yet. I held my hands out to them.

"It's okay, it's okay," I said, "I'll admit, I deserved that." I smiled again. "A whore's always gotta protect her wrongdoing."

She punched me right in the nose. Rick grabbed his wife, pulling her away from me. Daryl pushed me back away from Lori.

"Quit it," Rick said sternly, "both of you."

I sat against the highway barriers, Daryl gently cleaning my bloodied nose. "You tryin'a get yourself killed?" he asked. I shrugged.

"Wasn't lyin'," I said. Daryl shook his head.

"You gotta learn when to shut your mouth."

"Can't, I known you too long, I adapted that Dixon habit."

He scoffed, shaking his head again. "Smartass," he mumbled. I smiled, remaining silent while he finished. Once done, I stood up, thanking Daryl for helping me out even though I didn't really need the help.

"You done  bein' a dumbass?" he asked. I shrugged with a smug smile.

"No promises." He shook his head with a smirk and a small roll of his eyes. He held my waist with one hand as he pulled me closer, pressing a kiss to my forehead before walking away.