Burned

I'm sorry, this is really late and this is uite a short chapter. I've jut been a bit busy and a little bit stuck. Not quite sure ho to continue this story right now. 

Lots of tests and assignments as the term start to come to a close 

Also I know sort of where I want this story to go, I'm just not sure how to get there.

So sorry if parts seem a bit forced or disjointed.

My holidays start soon therefore so long as I'm not given a bunch of assignments I should have a bit more time to write. 

------------------------------------Chapter 12---------------------------------------

Lon bolted upright in bed, “What in god’s name was that?” he said aloud. The room was silent. He wasn’t certain he’d really heard anything at all. Was it just part of a dream maybe? he queried himself. Lon contemplated settling back down into bed, but he couldn’t help the feeling that he hadn’t heard that yowl. He wished to investigate.

I tucked my tail around my body, plopping my head on the soft, fluffy tip. The snow displaced beneath my weight. I hated how real this seemed. It made the whole experience that much more terrifying. What if this wasn’t really a simulation room? Maybe I never really woke up, until just a while ago, and really I just sleep walked into the middle of nowhere? Wait that’s not possible, they lock the doors to the exit at night. Someone would’ve caught me. What if I was really still asleep and this is all a dream? Irrational – and some rational – questions swirled in my head. I can’t do this. I can’t handle this place. I let my eyes droop, drifting slowly to sleep. My final thought: well I guess if I’m falling asleep now, then this mustn’t be a dream… I think.

The light above the simulation room indicated it was occupied. That’s odd, he thought, who’d be using the simulation room at this time of night? Lon focused his mind on the contents behind the door. He knew he wouldn’t be able to know if anyone was really there, but he might… might just be able to hear them, or their thoughts if they were projecting. Brows furrowed he stared intently at the door. Anyone walking by would think he had lost it. The thought momentarily distracted Lon, just as he heard the frantic whispers of question. Lon blinked as though to clear his mind, then returned his attention to the whispers. Who was there? After what seemed like an age, but was probably only a minute Lon figured it out, NIMRAH.

Beside the metal door of the simulation room was a small latch in the wall. He turned to it and pulled open the latch. Behind it glowed the twelve buttons of a security keypad. He punched in the security override code he’d learnt after following Miriam around one time.

The light above the simulation room flicked from red to green. Lon leapt at the handle, hauling the door open.

The snow around me flickered. What was going on? Slowly the room began to shift. Trees faded, snow melted into the floor, and in its place was the harsh metal walls and floor. I lifted my head from my tail as this fake world disintegrated. Before me was the door again. What happened? I thought. Then the door swung inwards. I stared in shock at the silhouette in the doorway. It took a slow step towards me, hesitant, as though uncertain of how I’d react. I stared, back, contemplating leaping to my feet… err paws… and hightailing it to the other side of the room. But fatigue won out. The other side of this place just seemed so far away. And what if when I turned around the room went back to that snowy nightmare?

The closer the silhouette came into the room, the more confident it became, “Nimrah?” it called. My ears perked. I know that voice. Hey, I thought to it. Finally the silhouette cleared and Lon stood over me, “Hey there Nim.” I heard myself start to purr. Oh god no! this is embarrassing. But the purring didn’t cease. Lon grinned, “Are you going to stay like that? Or are you going to shift back to normal?”