The Room

------------------------------------------ Chapter 14 ------------------------------------------

 Sarah squealed quietly in my ear, pestering me about my leg. What to say? I tried to brush it off, “It really wasn’t as bad as it seemed.” Sarah didn’t believe me but as silence fell on the room she found it too quiet to continue the conversation. As such she had to let it drop… thankfully. We hovered in a circle for a minute. I wasn’t really sure what to now that they were here. Nor what to say. Thankfully Mrs Shella picked up the conversation, “Well then, why don’t you give us a quick tour of the place and tell us how you’re liking it here?”

“Yeah, Josh, Matt and I will come along too,” Chase piped up tilting his head at each guy in turn. I shrugged, “Sure.” 

I turned to leave the entrance, “Through here is the schooling space. Not very interest and the dormitories are down the back of the building.” I tried not to hasten my pace as I walked past the training rooms. Mrs Shella smiled at my use of ‘dormitory.’ It was a sort of proud smile that you’d expect from a parent. I felt a sting of pain and guilt in my chest for not knowing for so long about her technically being my guardian. We fast approached the food room, “You hungry?” I asked over my shoulder.

“I sure am!” Chase grinned wrapping an arm about my shoulders as he hustled me into the room. I frowned, he was a bit eager. Then realisation dawned, Chase just about never ate in this room. Where does he eat? I wondered. Still, uncomfortable with his borderline possessive stance, I bit my lip and shrugged his arm away. A small snigger erupted behind me from his friends and Sarah in particular. Mrs Shella made an affirming sound. I couldn’t tell whether it was to the prospect of eating, or my reaction to Chase. We moved deeper into the room and after a quick survey I noticed the room was unusually full with some of the workers of the place, dressed in casual ‘teen’ clothes. I almost snorted at Miriam’s attempt to make this place look legitimate.

As a result, the usually empty tables were all full. Though are usual table was no fuller than normal… seemed as though the employees may have been a bit fearful of us. Shrugging I piled a plate with food from the table at the far side of the room, indicating the others to do the same, then made my way to the empty seat beside Allegro.

Sarah confidently plonked herself in the seat beside me whilst Hannah, Roxanne and Jamie more timidly sat on the opposite side of the table. Mrs Shella opted to go and have a talk with Miriam for a bit. I almost wished her luck, but Miriam greeted her warmly. Guess she’s trying to keep up appearances. Chase, Matt and Josh quickly joined the end of the table, filling the rest of it up.

“Heya Nim,” Allegro greeted, “Gonna introduce us?” he asked waving his hand to indicate the rest of the ‘changers’ at the table. I noticed a distinct lack of Seraphine, thank lord. 

“Well, you know Sarah. Then this is Hannah, Roxy and Jamie. You obviously know Chase and those are his friends, Matt and Josh…”

“Hey again,” Sarah smiled at Allegro, raising her head so it was above mine. Al flashed her a grin. Hannah and Roxy all but leapt from their seat to stick out their hands and introduce themselves further to him. Jamie watched with mild amusement and Matt, Josh and Chase all shared looks of disgust. I suppressed a smile.

“Hey! There’s us too!” Max hollered from his perch at the other end of the table. I laughed. My friends turned to look at me all displaying varying degrees of shock upon their faces. Suddenly self-conscious, my cheeks burned. It’s true that I had barely every cracked a joke or laughed overly before coming here. I guess this place was helping me to fit in more than I’d realised. Pushing down my embarrassment I began introducing the changers in turn.