Fright

A/N Just a quick thing. Anything that isn't in Nimrah's POV due to her not being present in the scene etc will be in italics. 

--------------------------------------------Chapter 16----------------------------------------------------

Lon’s eyes pleaded as they jumped apart, “Stay here. Please,” he whispered, “They probably won’t find us.” I stared back feeling guilt. I couldn’t just hide here. There were other people in this room that needed my help. 

“Please Nim.”

Footsteps shuffled across the room’s floor as people entered. I shook, but I had to do something. Across the room I heard murmurs and felt the overwhelming urge to shush them. As if that wouldn’t be obvious. Torchlight flickered across the wall behind us and appeared in the crack beneath the desk. I hoped they couldn’t see how we stopped the light. I began to silently crawl from our hiding space but Lon’s arms encircling my waist stopped me. He tugged me back. I sent him a desperate look but he held fast.

I heard a surprised squeak that sounded like Sarah followed by a resonating thud. I sucked in an audible gasp, then a hand clapped over my mouth. I squirmed. I had to get out. That thud could’ve been Sarah. I had to help her. Lon growled softly, carefully grabbing both my hands in one of his and pinning them behind me. I was stuck. I forced myself to remain silent but I wasn’t ready to give in to our silent battle.

The lights of the room flared on causing me to squint and with a sudden cry I heard all the changers asides from Lon and me leaping into action.

“MMM..!!!” I mumbled into Lon’s hand, but he still didn’t move. I couldn’t see it but I could hear the battle on the other side of the desk. Foreign voices cried in pain, but there were no terrified shrieks from anyone yet, so they mustn’t have shifted yet.

I heard a metallic ringing, like metal drawing across metal then heard a cry from Allegro.

“AL!!” Max cried. I tried to scream but Lon still muffled me. I couldn’t see Lon from the angle he pinned me but I could feel the deep sense of betrayal. What was he doing? He couldn’t just hold me here. What about fighting the bad guys? I was so confused.

Pained groans escaped Allegro’s mouth.

“Freeze,” a voice bellowed, “Just tell us where she is and we’ll leave.” Where they specifically looking for me?

A derisive snort entered the air, “Not likely, sunshine,” Seraphine bit back. The tiger was defending me? Someone was shuffling about the floor. Then silence.

“What?!” the voice demanded. This time I heard a soft whispering.

“Good work,” the voice sniggered. His footfalls thundered as he paced forward. Seraphine began to protest then with a pitched squeal thudded, presumably to the floor. Max yelled but after a solid clonk fell silent. The only person I couldn’t account for was Ariella at this point. But after hearing a scared skittering I knew she must’ve been out there too, backing away from the heavy footsteps of the person the voice belonged to. The walls creaked as she slammed up against them. Turning my head slightly I could just see her from the corner of my eye.

I froze now. Fear lanced through me, pinging back and forth with the rapid hammering of my heart like a yoyo. The footfalls paused just out of my line of sight, but I could see the looming shadow fall over Ariella. I couldn’t watch. I pushed myself back into Lon and turned my face into his shoulder. Lon let go of my arms and mouth and wrapped his arms around me, blocking the world. I braced. Waiting to hear Ariella scream or cry or whimper, but nothing came. Instead the footfalls shifted paths, suddenly coming our way. They paused beside the desk and with a loud bang the man’s fist came down on the top of the desk. I squeaked into Lon’s shoulder.