Chapter 1: Only the Beginning

There is Why Don't We in the rest of this story, this is just the introduction of the main character (you). Enjoy!

March 16th 2015, 3am

I awoke to the sound of knocking on the door to my crammed 3 bedroom apartment on the outskirts of Los Angeles. Swinging myself out of bed, I put on my glasses and made my way to the door. I opened the door to 3 policemen, each had their own look of sorrow on their faces.
"Can we talk to you for a second miss Y/LN (your last name)"
"Uh, yeah uhm. Sure"
Sitting on the old blue couch, the policemen prepare themselves to talk to me.
"Miss, we regret to inform you that your parents were involved in a plane accident this morning and they died at the scene"
My face dropped in horror at the news I had been given, in disbelief I couldn't help but burst into a flood of tears and collapse to the floor next to the couch.
"No.. NO" I said in shock.
"We are truly sorry miss, do you have any carers that could take care of you?" The tall policemen said as he watches you cry on the floor, forcing you to answer despite just finding out the devastating news.
Wiping away the tears, I replied "I have an uncle in Florida"
"Well we will get you a flight tomo..."
"NO" you snapped, interrupting the policeman as you remember of how your uncle abused you when you were younger and tried to stop you from going back him to LA to see your parents.
"I want to stay here, please don't make me go, I'll be okay here in my apartment, I can take care of mys..."
"Miss I'm afraid you're under the age of 18 our records tell us meaning that you can't stay on your own without a legal guardian over 18"
You pick yourself up from the floor slowly while tears slide down your cheeks.
"You will have to go to an orphanage or go to your uncle in Florida"

The choices spin around your head causing my anxiety to give me a migraine. After 5 minutes of thinking of life in each, I came to a conclusion.
"I...I'll go to the orphanage"
"We are legally required to contact your uncle of the news even though you will not go with him in Florida, while we go to the station, please gather all of your things that you will need and meet us at the Central Station Orphanage whenever you are ready"
"Okay.." I said with a disappointed undertone to your voice. I stood staring at the policemen walk out of the apartment thinking about what had just happened and then can't help but smash a glass in frustration that you woke up to finding out that your parents are dead. Of all the news in the world, I had to be told they were dead. Why me?

The policemen close the door and your anger rages through you.
"Why did I let them go? They didn't deserve to die, im such a bad daughter, I didn't even give a final goodbye.."
As these questions rush through your mind, you drink a glass of water and search for your blue suitcase to fit only your essentials. It takes you a few hours to evaluate what has just happened and once you calm down, you unzip your suitcase.

I talked to myself as I packed things into your bags: "Toothbrush, hairbrush, phone, earphones, clothes, shoes" the list of things you pack goes on as you throw them into the bag. Your migraine seemed to fade away slightly as you pick up the suitcase an hour later, you open the door, step outside into the hallway, and make your way down the elevator.
"Leaving for vacation so soon Y/N? It's only March!" The receptionist jokes to you.
Usually, I would talk the receptionist, but this time you walk out towards the orphanage down the road with streaks of mascara running down your face from the night before.

The time was now 5am, 'Central Station Orphanage' the sign read on the top of the high gate. The policemen watch as you walk down the path towards the entrance. After talking to the policemen for a brief moment, I made my way towards the dorms. 'Dorm 6' the sign said in the stone walled hallway. 2 other girls greet you as you enter the dorm, one of them has brown hair and is wearing all designer clothes, the other has short blond hair and bright clothes. They both look the same age as you and don't look too scary you assumed.

"Hey! You're the new girl! I'm Mia, I'm 15"
The short blond hair girl said with the biggest smile on her face. "I'm Kayla, I'm 16" the brown haired girl said while she was watching a vine on her phone. I recognised who she was watching, it was Logan Paul. "How did you end up here?" Mia questioned as she handed you a makeup wipe for your dripping mascara.
You let out a sigh and begin to tell them your story as you sit down on the dorm couch after placing your suitcase against the wall. After a few minutes, you finish explaining what happened to your parents then Mia and Kayla bring you in for a hug.
"Listen, the orphanage looks bad, but it isn't as bad as it seems trust me, we will make sure that you will enjoy it here until you get chosen" Kayla reassured me.
"Myself and Kayla have never been chosen because we want to stay here, we always hide whenever they want us to go to our new families because we are scared of what it will be like"
Mia added on by saying "I never met my parents.. I don't know what living outside the orphanage is like so frankly I'm worried about if I will be okay and fit in"
Kayla finished by saying "My parents put me here when I was younger because they didn't feel like they could take care of me, I'm waiting for them here, I don't want anyone else.."

Hearing their stories brought a tear to my eyes and made me consider if I would want to go with anyone. "I won't be picked, don't you worry, I'm staying right here" you reassured Mia and Kayla as you wipe the tears from your eyes again. "We have to look out for each other" Mia explains.

"I just hope that everything will be okay..." you sigh under your breath, looking at your shoes.

-------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry that this chapter is terrible, it will get better as the story goes and I get more used to writing on wattpad. Thanks for reading! My insta is @typical.wdw so dm me if you ever want to talk about my story and whatnot :)