Chapter 2: Something Different

'2 years I have been in this orphanage now. Kayla was adopted a few days after we all agreed to stand by each other. This time they made sure that she went and that she didn't hide. Mia was told that a family is looking at adopting her after reading her records but it hasn't been confirmed yet. It's crazy to think that I've been in this orphanage for 2 years, March 2015, now March 2017. No families have decided to adopt me because of how my parents passed away, they assume I'm depressed or some false reason like that, I just hope that Mia doesn't get taken away from me.

This orphanage will never feel like home to me, it feels more like a prison for kids that they assume have mental problems because of what they have experienced, but that's a stupid assumption because I feel fine, sure I will still feel pain for my parents but I've got to move on at some point, it's the only thing I can do.'

*Y/N closes her diary and slides it beneath her bed*

I opened the high door and looked out into the echoing hallway. "MIA!" I shouted, looking up and down the halls wondering where she had gone. As I turn back into Dorm 6, I notice that her suitcase is gone from beneath her bed. She gave me her phone number when we first met so I decided that this was a good time to use it.
The phone rang for 30 seconds before I was sent to voicemail.
"You have reached Mia Rileys voicemail, please leave a message after the tone *beep*"
"Hey Mia? It's Y/N, just wondering where you are so call me back okay?"
I put my phone down on my desk and patrol the dusty, cold hallways, searching for Mia. My final destination to look was the reception desk.
The woman was on the phone to parents looking to adopt, she spoke into the phone: "Hello, welcome to Central Station Orphanage how can I help you?" and once she finished her conversation, she turned to me. The woman had red hair in a bob cut and she had small circular glasses that hung onto the tip of her nose.

"Uh, hey, do you know where Mia is?" I ask
"Mia who?" She replies
"Mia Riley"
"If I'm correct, she was adopted this morning, this lovely looking family came to collect her, she looked like she fits in perfectly" she replied smugly.
"You're kidding me? Haha this is funny. Mia, Mia Riley? There's no way she was adopted" I reply in disbelief
The woman lays out a record book on the smooth oak desk and points to Mia's name with all of her details, who she was adopted by and the date she was adopted. It was today's date.
"how could you? You know that there was nobody else that I trusted in here, you know that she is what keeps me sane you psychopath" I snapped at the woman.
"Listen Hun, there was nothing I could do, this is an orphanage after all sweetie"
I stare at the woman in disgust, realising that your dorm is now empty and you don't know anybody else who lives in the orphanage.
"Maybe it's time that you made some new friends? You've been talking to Mia for 2 years after all, why not talk to some other people your age?"
"Nobody could replace her." I glared.
I turned away and walked back to my dorm, trying to keep in all my frustration inside me.

I sat on my creaking bed and stared at the ceiling, then to Mia and Kaylas old beds. "We were meant to stay together, now I'm all on my own, typical life of me" I complained to myself. I had matured with my emotions ever since my parents passing, I find it difficult to cry now because there is better things to cry over, although I will still miss Mia like crazy.

The intercom sounded into my dorm "DINNER" the announcer shouted.
I rolled out of bed and walked over to the dining hall, I hate this orphanage. 'This place feels like prison' is the only thought that ran through my head while I was sat on the 4 metal chaired table on my own, eating what looked like uncooked sludge. This was my life now, I just had to accept it and hope I get adopted some time soon because this life isn't what I want to be living.

2 new girls were introduced to me the following morning but I didn't spend time talking to them, if I made new friends and they get sent away it would only hurt me more. Some days I didn't even go for dinner, I don't remember seeing the outside world for days. All I could do now was stare outside the misted windows, watching families walk in and out of the orphanages looking at the book of children's records. Usually I would be in the mouldy playground with Mia but because she wasn't here, all I could do was just sit alone.

The staff in the orphanage always tell me that they're worried about me, but I'd rather be in here than outside meeting more people that will break my heart. The same thoughts rushed through my head every day: "where are Mia and Kayla now? I hope they fit in with their families". I stared at my phone just waiting for the call back from Mia but I guess that she is too busy with her new family to ever think about what life she used to have.

Then one day, I look out my window so see a car with blacked out windows outside. The bell rings to the gate of the orphanage like it usually does, the door opens and 5 young looking boys walk through the door. One had blond hair and wore bright clothes, another with curly hair and black clothes, one with a quiff and similar looking black clothes, another with brown hair and wearing a blue adidas hoodie and the final person with a beanie and circular shades. They handed over a stack of papers to the receptionist as I opened the door and looked down the hallway, grinning at each other looking quite eager to get their new child. I wonder who they are going to get. They're probably looking for a 6 year old, not a 15 year old like me. I close the door slowly and return to my position on the window ledge, watching people pass the orphanage while the sound of orphans shouting to each other in the playground was ringing in my ears.

Then, I get a knock at my dorm door and it swings open as a gust of wind flies behind it. The bang of the door caused me to quickly swivel my head behind me. "Y/N? You're being adopted, pack your bags' the receptionist demanded.

"Seriously? Why is my life such a movie"
-------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for taking the time to read my story! From the next chapter the story REALLY starts and I hope you will enjoy it. These chapters were the introduction basically. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT THIS! Either comment here on wattpad or dm me on my insta typical.wdw ! Follow my wattpad if you want to know when I post the next chapter faster :)