7. Anniversary (Marinette)

"Marinette! Time for school!" My Mom's voice echoed up from the bakery. I groaned loudly as I pulled the covers over my head. "Marinette it's time to wake up." Tikki urged as she tugged on the covers. "I'm not going to school, Adrien hates me." I whined as I curled up into fetal position. Tikki continued to pull on my comforter. "No, he doesn't Marinette, I'm sure he was just busy yesterday that's all." She assured as I peeked over the covers. "You think so...?" I asked warily. Tikki nodded. "Plus, aren't you a little too old to be acting so childish?" She scolded. "Okay, okay." I mumbled as I tossed the covers off and made my way to the restroom to shower and get ready.

"Do you know what today is?" I asked Tikki once I'd gotten out of the restroom. She hovered over to my side. "It's been 3 years since you and I met." I said as I put on my favorite jagged stone shirt and jeans. "You remembered?" Tikki asked as she flew up to meet my gaze. A smile lit up her small face. "Of course." I said as I brushed my hair into a ponytail. I used a finger to pet her head once I was done. 

"I wasn't the only one though, you also met Cat Noir!" She said as she sat on my shoulder. I nodded and reached into my desk drawer. I pulled out the box I had put it in. "I know, that's why I made this..." I trailed off as I removed the lid and showed her what I'd made. "Marinette, it's beautiful!" Tikki mused as she hovered next to it. "Cat Noir's going to love it!" She exclaimed. I smiled. "I hope so, I worked on it for weeks." I admitted before putting it away.

"Are you sure you don't like Cat more than you say?" She asked in a teasing tone. "No, you already know I like Adrien." I assured as I picked up my book-bag and made my way downstairs. "Good morning honey." My dad greeted as he placed a tray of fresh apple turnovers and peach tarts on the table. I picked one of each and put them in my bag for Tikki and I to share. "Have a good day at school sweetie!" My Mom shouted from the sink where she was washing some sheet pans and molds. "Bye Mama, Papa!" I waved and made my way out the door.

As I made my way down the street towards the school, I couldn't help but think of Adrien. Tikki seemed to read my mind because she peeked her head out of my purse. "Are you going to ask Adrien what was wrong with him yesterday?" She asked softly. I nodded. "I'm going to try..." I trailed off as I crossed the street. I took in a deep breath. "Be brave Marinette, you're a superhero!" I scolded myself as I walked through the gate.

"Hey girl!" Alya greeted as she waited for me on the stairs. "Morning." I said with a smile as we made our way into the classroom. "I wonder if Adrien is feeling better today?" She asked as we took our seats. I nodded "I hope so, I was really looking forward to watching a movie with him..." I trailed off as he walked in. "Speak of the devil." Alya whispered as we watched him head towards his desk.

His hair was neat, and his complexion radiant. He seemed fine now. "Morning Marinette." He greeted me with a smile as he took a seat. "I-I uh..." I stammered incoherently as he gave Nino a fist bump. Alya elbowed me with force. "Ow!" I hissed as I looked at her. "Get it together girl! Adrien says hi to you and all you do is make sounds?!" She scolded as I rubbed my neck sheepishly. Thankfully the teacher walked in shortly after so Alya couldn't yell at me any further.

(A few hours later)

"Ok everyone, enjoy your lunch and please be back on time..." The teacher called as she picked up her books and made her way out of the classroom. "Come on girl, I was thinking we could go get something from that cart in the park. I heard their stuff is really good." Alya urged as she fiddled with her phone. "Updating the Lady blog?" I asked as I packed up my things. "You know it." She enthused. I rolled my eyes as I picked up my book-bag. W-Wah!" I cried as I tripped and  and fell face first, dropping all of my books. "God I hope Adrien didn't see that." My thoughts raced as I reached down to pick up my stuff.

"Here..." His voice sent my heart into a frenzy. I watched as he bent down and picked up one of my books. My face nearly boiled over. "T-thanks..." I stuttered as I took the book and put it in my bag. "Hey Marinette? I was wondering if you and Alya wanted to have lunch with Nino and me at the park. To make up for the way I bailed on you guys yesterday. We can brainstorm project ideas." My heart nearly jumped out of my chest. "Yea! We'll be right out!" Alya responded for me before pulling me by the arm. Adrien smiled and shifted his bag. "Okay, see you outside." He said as he made his way down the steps.

"Girl this is your chance!" Alya squealed as we made our way down the stairs. "When we get to the park, I'll distract Nino so you can have Adrien all to yourself!" She said as she gripped my arm excitedly. "Remember, be confident girl! You're a catch and it's time Adrien sees that." She assured as she gave me a squeeze. I grinned stupidly as my mind swirled with images of us eating lunch together. "Adrien..." I sighed dreamily as we made our way out to the patio.