44. Don't Leave (Adrien)

My eyes opened wide. I felt my body fly backwards as I lost my footing and hit the tower beams with a hard thud. The blast had knocked me off my feet. I squinted wearily as the blinding light dispersed. "Odd...that didn't hurt..." I thought to myself as my vision began to focus. The color drained from my face when I noticed why. Her face was pale, her body frozen. My heart cringed when I glanced  from her pale face, to my right hand. "No..." I whispered as I quickly pulled my hand away. I watched the light fade from her eyes. 

  Marinette had jumped in front of me and protected me from the blast, but when we were propelled backwards, my arms had instinctively wrapped around her, touching her with my cataclysm hand. "No, no no no..." I whispered as her body went limp in my arms. "M-marinette, stop playing..." I whispered as I shook her softly. Her eyes were dull and lifeless. Her skin felt cold. "M-mari...please...this isn't funny..." I choked out as the knot in my throat tightened. I could feel tears well up in my eyes as her body stiffened.

 "Marinette!!" Tikki screamed as she hovered over to us. The small kwami pulled on her ear. "Marinette wake up, you have to stop Heart Snatcher!" she said as a tear escaped her big round eyes. Tears poured down my cheeks as I buried my face in the nape of her cold neck. "I'm sorry...please...don't leave me!" I sobbed as I hugged her tightly. "Cat Noir!" Tikki shouted as she gestured to Marinette's feet. My heart cringed when I noticed her feet, they were disintegrating. "No...no...no!" I sobbed as I crushed her body in my arms. "This is my fault!" I sobbed uncontrollably.

   (Tikki flew up to the hysterical boy. She petted his head softly as tears poured down her own cheeks. Even though she had met and befriended many Ladybugs before, she had grown very attached to Marinette. She was warm, kind-hearted and above all, she was her friend. She shot a mournful look at the leather clad hero, just as his miraculous beeped a final time and his transformation wore off.) 

A lime green light surrounded the sky as I reverted to my civilian form. I paid no mind to it. Nothing mattered anymore. I had killed her. I had killed the love of my life. "ADRIEN!?" Heart Snatcher's eyes opened wide when she laid eyes on my true form. Her surprised cry made me look up wearily. My eyes red and puffy.

    (A red mask framed Heart Snatcher's surprised face."NO! HOW CAN THIS BE?!!" Hawkmoth's voice boomed through her head. He sounded just as surprised as she was. "Bring me his Miraculous, but don't hurt him!" he commanded. Chloe hovered in place. Her fists clenched as she squeezed the polka dotted earrings in her hand. "NO..." she whispered as she clenched her eyes shut. "YOU WILL OBEY!!" he roared furiously making her head hurt.)

     I watched bewildered as Heart Snatcher clutched onto the sides of her head. She seemed conflicted as she argued with an unseen force. "I said NO!!!" she screamed suddenly as she lifted her hand and tossed the earrings she held. "Tikki!" Plagg shouted, but she beat him to it. Tikki zoomed over and caught the earrings just in time. I glanced back up at Heart Snatcher who seemed to be struggling. "Fight it Chloe!" I shouted just as she let out a blood curling scream. I watched a surge of electricity shake her body as she floated down. Her costume flickered but the red mask remained on her face.

    After a few seconds, I glanced back down at Marinette, the disintegration had reached her knees. "I'm so sorry Princess...please don't leave me..." I whispered in between sobs. "I need you...you're everything to me...please!" I sobbed as Tikki flew over and put Marinette's miraculous on her ears. "Kid...your ring!" Plagg yelled as he pointed at it. I glanced down unsure. "Put it on her finger, before she disappears!" he shouted. I didn't argue. With a shaky hand, I slid off the silver ring revealing a tan line on my right hand. I knew it didn't matter, but I picked up her left hand instead. "Stay with me forever..." I whispered as more tears poured down my face. She was almost gone.

 "I love you..." I managed to choke out as I slid the ring onto her finger, then pressed my lips against hers. A blinding white light exploded from the ring and earrings. I glanced up bewildered as my lips began to tingle. White ladybugs surrounded her body as he was lifted up into the air. I watched as Tikki and Plagg flew into their respective jewels, and a powerful wave of light blanketed the city, repairing the damage. I stood up shakily and watched with wide eyes as her body was surrounded by light.

("NO!" Hawkmoth shouted when he realized what was happening. "Stop her!" he yelled, but it was too late. Marinette's clothes had already begun to change. He glared fearfully through his victim's eyes at the hero that hovered before him. Her eyes glowed a fluorescent and blinding white.)