35. Patio(Marinette)

I woke up late like always. I stumbled around in a hurry, tossing on the first garments I could find. After I got dressed and brushed my teeth, I dashed downstairs. "Bye Mama, Papa!" I shouted as I grabbed some cookies off the counter and rushed out the door.

"You have to start waking up earlier Marinette!" Tikki scolded. "I know Tikki, I just had a rough night..." I looked both ways as I crossed the street. "If your night was rough, I can only imagine Cat Noir's..." She trailed off. My heart throbbed. "I know..." I whispered as I neared the school. "I still think you were too hard on him." She said just as I made it through the gate. She tucked herself in my bag as I walked into class.

Alya looked at me with an exasperated expression. I grinned at her sheepishly. She shook her head in disapproval prompting me to glance down at Adrien's empty seat. "Hey Nino..." I whispered as I leaned over my desk. He turned around curiously. "Where's Adrien?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "I texted him, but he hasn't replied..." Nino said as he motioned to his phone. I sat down wearily. The teacher was handing out the grades for our project. We got an A for creativity, presentation and design. Alya gave Nino a high five when they got their grades.

I stared at Adrien's empty seat sadly. "I hope he's okay." I muttered as I played with my pencil. Alya nudged me with her elbow. "Calm down Mari, I'm sure he's just resting. He was really sick yesterday. Passing out is never a good thing and chances are it might've happened again if he showed up." I nodded. I knew she was right. Still, the day seemed to stretch on forever without him there.

School was dismissed early. Alya invited me to get some ice cream, but I wasn't in the mood. I dragged my feet as I walked home. The air was hot and stuffy. "Marinette, are you okay?" Tikki asked as she peeked out of my bag. "Yea..." Was all I could manage to say as I entered the bakery. Mama and Papa were busy with the afternoon rush, so they barely noticed me walk by. "There's food in the microwave!" One of them yelled from the back room. "Okay!" I shouted as I walked right past it and went up stairs.

As soon as I closed the door Tikki flew out of my purse, a cookie in her hand. I laid down on my bed. I had a headache. "Do you want to talk about it Marinette?" She asked as she chewed. "Talk about what?" I asked as I glanced at her. "About Cat." She said after she swallowed. "There's not much to talk about." I retorted before turning to face the wall. I stared at my posters longingly.

"Well first of all, how did he know who Ladybug likes?" She asked as she wiped her face. "Now that you mention it, that was kind of odd I guess." glanced back at my posters. "I don't know...maybe he's seen the way I gawk at him?"

She hovered over and sat on my stomach. "I don't think he's ever been there when you're with Adrien..." I sat up as I thought about it. "I don't even think you've ever seen them in the same room together." She said as she hovered over to me. "You're not implying..." I trailed off as I glanced at my posters. "No that's impossible Tikki..." I brushed her off as I laid back down. She shrugged and hovered over to my pillow before curling up next to me.

"I tried." She whispered. I arched a brow as she closed her eyes and fell asleep. I laid in bed for a while. I tried to take a nap but was unable to, so I decided to watch some T.V instead. The hours floated by slowly. I sketched for awhile, and even read a book while I waited for the time to pass. When it was finally dark enough, I walked over and woke her up. "It's time for patrol..." I whispered Tikki hovered up and stretched. When she was ready, she nodded her small head. "Spots on!"

The sky was darker than usual today. The moon was crescent, but it was partially obscured by clouds. After I did my first round, I made my way to our usual spot. "Maybe Tikki was right." I thought to myself as I swung through the city. "I should apologize to Cat..." My mind raced as I jumped one final time and landed on the tower. I glanced around wearily. He wasn't there. After a few seconds, I sat down on the edge and decided to wait for him.

(Beep-beep)

My miraculous snapped me out of my daze. I tried calling Cat on his stick phone, but it was no use, he didn't answer. After many calls, and waiting for an hour, I decided to head back home. "He didn't show up Tikki..." I said sadly as I reverted to my civilian form. She floated up to face me. "You hurt his feelings Marinette."

I glanced down at the floor. I was about to say something, when I heard a thud on my ceiling. "Hide Tikki!" I whispered as I made my way up the stairs. I opened the trap door to see a pair of glowing green eyes staring back at me. "Cat?" I asked as I made my way up to the rooftop patio. He was perched on the railing, his expression serious. "Marinette, we need to talk..."