32. Father (Adrien)

"No....!" I shouted as I vaulted from roof to roof, even running on all fours as I tried to speed up. "You will give me your miraculous!" His voiced echoed around me. I made my way to the Eiffel tower, I climbing it urgently as I dodged his attacks. When I made it to the top, I pointed my baton at the floating monster.

"Time to destroy you Cat Noir!" The  voice shouted as it shot a beam of dark energy at me. I clenched my teeth and prepared myself for the blow. My eyes widened when I saw a blur of red and black jump in front of me. 

          "Ladybug!!" I shouted as I sat up with a jolt; I was sweating. I counted to ten as I tried to steady my breathing. "It was just a dream..." I sighed as I glanced down to see I wasn't wearing my black shirt anymore. I glanced around wearily. Everything from the floor to the curtains to the walls was white. It made me uneasy. I felt my heart skip when I glanced down.

    Marinette was fast asleep, her head on her arms as she rested on the edge of my infirmary cot. "She's so cute..." I thought to myself as I felt a bit of blood rush to my face. She was snoring softly. "I can't handle it!" My subconscious screamed as I leaned in and allowed my lips to gently graze her forehead. My heart sank when she stirred. After a few seconds, her eyes fluttered open.

"Morning sleepy head..." I said with a smile. "Adrien!  I'm sorry! I didn't mean to fall asleep!" She stiffened and rubbed her head sheepishly. "It didn't bother me, I just woke up too." I admitted. "Hey, by any chance can tell me where I'm at prin-ah Marinette...!" I corrected myself. "Dang it! Stupid Cat!" I scolded myself.

She arched a brow "Yeah, you're at the school infirmary. You had a high  fever and you kind of passed out." She informed as she played with her purse string. "You don't remember anything?" She asked, her face turning red. "Last thing I remember was the teacher asking us to come up to the front of the class." I recalled. Marinette looked away once I turned my gaze back to her.

"Oh no! Did I do something weird to you?" I asked a little concerned. Her blush got even deeper. "Oh uh I—I wouldn't say it was weird..."She mumbled as she wedged her hands between her thighs. 

"Actually Adrien, there's something I wanted to tell you." I tilted my head curiously when I noticed her gaze flickering from my bare chest down to her thighs. "I'm sorry, does me being shirtless making you uncomfortable...?" I teased. She shook her head, her face rosy. For Marinette's sake, I decided to button up anyway.

"You were burning up so the nurse asked us to take your shirt off..." She explained. That was the moment it dawned on me—Marinette had been the one that undressed me. "Oh, no worries it's okay, Doctor's orders right?" I said, clearing my throat.

"Calm down!" I could hear my alter ego scolding as I glanced back at her. "Is that what you wanted to tell me?" I asked. She shook her head. My heart raced when she suddenly took my hand and cupped it between hers. I looked at her wide eyed. She was glancing at her feet. "Adrien...I've been meaning to tell you this for a long time..." She trailed off. "Is she going to tell me her secret?" My mind raced as I watched her quietly. "Adrien, I...I love...!" The sound of the curtain opening made her pull away instantly. 

"Adrien!" Natalie scolded as she barged in. She shot a dirty look at Marinette who seemed to get the hint. "Hey, I'll talk to you later okay?" She said with a half smile as she pulled the curtain closed behind her. "Adrien your father is not going to be happy about this." Natalie reminded as she handed me my book-bag. I watched Marinette's shadow through the curtain. I could see her Kwami hovering beside her head. She lingered a bit before making her way out.

 "Get dressed, I'll be waiting in the car..." Natalie  said as she shot me a disapproving glance, then left the room. Plagg zoomed out as soon as I opened my bag. "I told you so!" He nagged as he crossed his arms. "You don't even know what happened." I protested as I put my shirt on. "I can already guess..." He retorted. I rolled my eyes. "Come on Plagg, I'm already going to get an earful when I get home. Please don't give me one now." I begged as I put on my shoes. He sighed exasperatedly. "You owe me a lot of cheese!" He huffed before flying back in my bag. After I made sure I had everything, I made my way out the door.

      The car ride seemed never-ending. My head was pounding and my mouth was drier than the Sahara. I swallowed forcibly when we pulled up to the gate. Father, was waiting for us at the top of the steps. After the car stopped, Natalie got out and opened the door for me. She stood silently by the car as I made my way over to him. My eyes widened when Father reached out his hand and touched my forehead.

     "This is unacceptable." He said coldly as he turned away from me. I swallowed dryly. "From now on, you will no longer be attending school." He said as he made his way inside. My heart sank to my knees when I heard that. "No! Father, that's not why I'm sick! It was my fault for not taking better care of myself!" I rationalized as I followed him. He stopped by the stair case, his hands behind his back. "My decision is final."