34. Mistake (Adrien)

(CLICK!)

My ears twitched as they picked up a familiar sound. I turned to see Ladybug standing behind me, her yo-yo in her palm. My eyes widened as she pressed the center and released a white butterfly. "Evening Chaton" she greeted as she put her yo-yo away. My heart sank. "Was that akuma...for me?" I stammered. She nodded. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-!" I trailed off as I bit my lip. Ladybug walked over and sat next to me.

"Is everything okay?" She asked as she placed her hand on my head. I purred unwillingly. The sound seemed to surprise her. "You can purr?" She snickered as she brought her hand up to her mouth. "Of courrrrrse M'lady, I am a cat after all..." I winked at her. She rolled her eyes with a smile. "Sure you are kitty." She petted me again, causing another purr to escape my throat. "Tell me what's bothering you." She said gently. I pulled away. "It's my dad..." I trailed off. "Is he okay?" She asked.

I shook my head. "That's not what I meant..." I said as I fiddled with my tail. "I feel like nothing more than a marketing product to him. Something he can showcase and do whatever he wants with..." I trailed off as I looked out at the city.

"I'm sure he has a good reason." She began as she placed her hand on my shoulder. I shook my head. "All he cares about is himself." I retorted angrily. "Cat I'm sorry your relationship with your dad isn't on good terms right now, but you need to calm down. If you keep it up, you're going to attract another akuma and next time I might not be there to save you..."

I nodded as I rubbed my eyes. "You're right M'lady, you're always right." I sniffled with a smile as I picked up her hand to kiss it. She pulled away from me and stood up.

"M'lady?" I looked at her a bit confused. "Is everything okay?" I stood up to meet her gaze. She turned away from me. "M'Lady?" I asked again as I reached for her hand. "Last night." She began in a barely audible voice. My cheeks flushed when I remembered our kiss. "Are you talking about our purrr-fect kiss?" I smiled mischievously.

"Any chance you might want to do that a-" She pulled her hand away from me abruptly, interrupting me. "Cat, last night was a mistake." Her words rang through my ears like a dog whistle.

"What?" I asked incredulously. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. She glanced at her feet. "Why...?" I asked. I never thought words could sting so much. "Why was it a mistake?" I asked as I clenched my jaw.

"You know why Cat..." She trailed off. Anger radiated through me. "Because of Adrien?!" I growled. Her eyes opened wide. "How did you-" I didn't let her finish. "I know a lot of things Ladybug." There was a long and heavy silence between us then.

"How can you be so cruel?!" I hissed as I looked at the ground. "I would do anything for you Ladybug and all you do is play with my emotions." I clutched my baton angrily and extended it. "I'm sorry Cat...but it's for the best." She muttered as she gripped her yo-yo against her chest. "I don't want to hurt you..."

I rolled my eyes. Yeah right, don't bother." I said dismissively before jumping off the tower.

I vaulted rapidly through the city without stopping. My lungs burned as they screamed for oxygen. I coughed, the cold air made my throat hurt. I ran until I reached an old abandoned junkyard that sat on the outskirts of the city. I vaulted over the rusted fence that surrounded the perimeter.

"Agghh!" I screamed as I lifted my baton and smashed the nearest car windshield. My vision blurred as tears streamed down my face. "Cataclysm!" I shouted as I jumped on an old cargo truck container and incinerated it.

I leaped into the air just as the container turned to rust. I breathed heavily when I landed. I glanced around at the destruction that surrounded me. I must have smashed about a dozen cars.

(Beep-beep!)

My miraculous snapped me out of my trance. I glanced around one last time before I extended my stick and vaulted myself out of there.

I got home a little past midnight. As soon as I jumped through the window, my miraculous wore off.

"What is wrong with you!" Plagg scolded as he hovered over to me. I turned my head. "Leave me alone." I huffed as I hopped in the shower. My mind remained blank the entire time.

When I was done, I got dressed and made my way out of the restroom. Plagg was rummaging in the closet for cheese. "There's no more in there. I'm going to get some more from the kitchen." I said as I made my way out of the room. "Wait for me!" He hissed as he hid in my shirt pocket.

I dragged my feet down the hallway. I felt exhausted. "Yes sir, but I think you're being too harsh." I stopped in my tracks as I heard Natalie's voice emanating from my father's study. I pressed my back against the wall so I wouldn't be seen.

The door to his study was slightly ajar. "Hey! Let's get mmph!" I put my hand over Plagg's mouth. "Shh!" I silenced him as my dad spoke. "That is not your place!" He scolded. "I know sir but..."

"But nothing! Limit yourself to obeying orders and doing your job!" I exhaled angrily. "Yes sir..." Natalie said softly. Her eyes opened wide when she walked out of the study and saw me standing there.

Without thinking, I hugged her. "Thank you for trying." She looked at me a bit surprised. After a few seconds, I pulled away. Natalie looked at me with a soft and comforting expression.

"He just wants what's best for you..." she assured and placed her hand on my shoulder. "I doubt it..." I said with a scoff as I turned around and made my way to the kitchen. After I got Plagg his cheese, we made our way back to my room.

"You have some deep anger issues..." Plagg said as he stuffed his face. I sat on my bed wearily. "On top of your daddy issues, I would say you're the perfect candidate to go dark-side." He teased with his mouth full. "Shut up Plagg..." I hissed as I laid down and closed my eyes. I don't know how much time passed, but somehow I managed to drift off into an uneasy sleep.