27. Wait for me(Marinette)

"Why did you do that Marinette?!" Tikki scolded after I'd de-transformed.  I plopped myself down on my computer chair and slouched.

"Ughh! I don't know Tikki!" I shouted as I messed with my hair. She sat on my desk and watched me curiously.
"I thought you liked Adrien " I glanced at his picture. "I do but..." I trailed off.

"You saw that Chloe kissed him, didn't you?" Tikki floated up to meet my gaze. "That could have been a misunderstanding Marinette! You shouldn't jump to conclusions like that!" I glanced down at the floor.

"I know Tikki, but I've been thinking about this for a while now." I said as I spun around in my chair.  "Maybe I've been chasing someone that's too far out of my reach, but Cat, he's always been there for me. As Ladybug and as Marinette." I could feel a light blush dust my cheeks.

"Marinette, Cat is a great guy and I know he cares about you a lot, but I think it's unfair to him that in your mind, you'd be settling..." She trailed off as she sat on my shoulder. "Besides, how do you expect Adrien to return your feelings if you can't even have a regular conversation with him? You haven't even told him how you feel!"

I gripped the edge of my chair as I considered Tikki's words. After another sigh, I made my way to the closet. I changed slowly, the weariness in my bones made task more daunting than it should've been.

After I was finished, I tip-toed downstairs and quietly grabbed a couple of cookies for Tikki. The bakery was dark and quiet. My parents had already gone to bed. After making sure the doors and windows were locked, I made my way back upstairs.

When I returned to my room, I placed the platter down on the desk then climbed into bed. Tikki hovered over and picked up a cookie. I stared at the ceiling for a long while. After Tikki had finished eating, she hovered over to me. I snickered and wiped the crumbs she had left on her red cheeks.

"That tickles Marinette!" She giggled.
"I think you're right..." I trailed off as she sat on my shoulder. "I'll never get rid of this uncertainty unless I go for it!" She nodded, an excited smile on her face. "Tomorrow at school, I'm going to tell Adrien how I feel!" I balled my fists in determination.

"What about Cat?" She asked curiously. "I don't know, but I do I care about him though. Even if his puns are the worst." I chuckled as I remembered. "Well I happen to think his puns are charming." Tikki said with a smile as she floated to my pillow. I nodded.

"I guess that's one way to describe him!" I said as I got up and turned off the light. I walked over to my window and looked up at the moon. It was full tonight, which meant there would be no moon tomorrow. "Wait for me Adrien..." I trailed off as my heart fluttered anxiously.

"Tomorrow, I'll tell you my true feelings." I whispered as I gripped my windowsill. After a few minutes, I returned to bed. Tikki had curled up on my pillow and was sleeping soundly. I laid down and sighed deeply as I thought about everything that had happened that day. I remembered how close I came to losing Cat. How painful it was to think I would never see him again. How I would miss his dumb puns and his dorky smile.

My heart ached a little. "You stupid Cat." I muttered to myself— he'd gotten under my skin. I loved Adrien, but as silly as it sounded, I loved Cat too. I tossed and turned for what seemed to be hours. My mind swirling with thoughts of them both. I don't know how long it took, but I eventually managed to drift off into a dreamless sleep.