30. I Love you (Marinette)

"Marinette!" Alya's voice interrupted me. "Dang it Alya!" I hissed to myself as she stomped up the stairs. She stopped halfway and glared at Adrien and me. "You guys left the project in the classroom last night!" She scolded with her arms crossed. "Luckily Nino and I realized before it was too late, so we took it and finished it." She said with a grin as she held it up for both of us to see. "It looks great Alya!" I smiled as I glanced at Adrien. He was playing with the scarf I gave him. 

"Just what happened last night?" She asked as she eyeballed the both of us. Adrien shrugged. Alya shot me a dirty look as she continued up the stairs. "Are you hiding something Marinette?" she asked as she leaned her face in. She raised an eyebrow as she studied me. "N—no, I'm not. I promise!" I assured as I leaned back instinctively.  She didn't seem satisfied, but backed up anyways. Students had already begun to walk in and sit down. I saw Chloe glaring at me from the corner of my eyes. "So much for confessing right now."  I thought with a sigh.

 Though truthfully, I felt a little relieved that I had a bit more time to prepare myself. "Pinch, Pinch." I could hear Tikki whispering from my bag. I swallowed loudly. I didn't want her to pull or pinch my ears again.

 (RIING!) 

The bell signaled the beginning of class. The teacher started calling up the groups one by one. I stared at the back of Adrien's head the entire period. After almost an hour of waiting, it was finally our turn. "Adrien and Nino's group please come up to the front!" She gestured with her hand as she cleared the white board.

 Alya and Nino went down first. I almost bumped into Adrien when he shuffled out from behind his seat. "S-sorry!" I said as I hesitated. "Go ahead." He said as he motioned for me to go first. I took in a steadying breath as I made my way to the front. "Clumsy Mari-trash never fails!" Chloe teased bitterly from her seat. I shot her an angry glance. "If looks could kill..." I heard Tikki mutter from inside my purse. I stood in the front of the class next to the others. Alya and Nino used the alligator clips that were attached to the board to hang up the poster.

    "Wow." Miss Bustier mused as she looked at the poster. "I assume the artwork was done by Marinette?" She asked as she smiled at me. " It wasn't just me. Adrien helped me with the artwork as well." I said with a smile as I glanced at him. He had his hands in his pockets. "Is that so?" She asked as she turned to Adrien. "Mr. Agreste?" She asked again as she looked at him. "Adrien!" I shouted as his legs gave out. Everyone gasped and stood up to get a closer look. Alya, Nino and I managed to catch him before he hit the ground. He leaned shakily on me. 

"Everybody back to your seats!" The teacher ordered as she placed her hand on his forehead. "You're burning up!" She gasped as she pulled her hand away. "Marinette, please accompany Mr. Agreste to the nurse's office. Don't worry about your project, I already know you guys contributed..." She said as she glanced at the poster. "Yea and Nino and I will present it!" Alya gave me a thumbs up. I nodded. "Let's go." I said softly as I led Adrien towards the door. He was still leaning against me. I could feel him shivering. "I should be the one taking care of Adrikins!" Chloe whined as we made our way out of the class. 

After we were a few steps away from the class, Adrien stopped walking. "Adrien?" I asked anxiously. "Marinette..." He began, his voice nearly a whisper. "Why...?" He asked. I looked at him bewildered. Slowly, he leaned against the wall as he reached and flipped the scarf over. I glanced down at my signature. 

"Why didn't you tell me...?" He asked, while stifling a cough. There was a few seconds of silence between us. "You looked so happy..." I trailed off as I brushed my bangs to the side. "I just couldn't take that away from you." I could feel my face warm up. 

(COUGH! COUGH! COUGH!)

Adrian doubled over and coughed loudly. "Adrien!" I reached my hand out only to have him pull me into his arms. I froze in place as he embraced me. I could feel the heat radiating off him. "Thank you Marinette." He whispered into my neck. His feverish breath gave me goosebumps. 

    "Adrien, let's go. We have to take you to the nurse..." I trailed off just as the door to our classroom burst open. "Miss. Bourgeois! Please take your seat!" I could hear the teacher shout. "No, I am going to look for my Adrikins!" She shouted as she turned towards us.  Adrien kept his hold on me as he rolled us around to the other side of the a pillar that was by the entrance. Chloe walked right past us.

    "Whew." I let out a sigh of relief as she rounded the corner and disappeared. "Adrien." I blushed deeply when I realized my back was Pressed against his torso. "W-w-we s-should really g-get going..." I stammered, my heart racing frantically. His breathing was was heavy and irregular. I couldn't help the butterflies that floated within my stomach as we stood there, intertwined. "Marinette..." He whispered loud enough for me to hear. 

  My heart throbbed when I realized his voice, his scent... reminded me of Cat's. "I have to tell you something. "Another shiver shook his body. "Adrien, we can talk later. Right now we should really..." He leaned his burning forehead in the crook between my shoulder and neck. I could feel my face turning crimson. "Marinette Dupain-Cheng..." He whispered. "I...love you..."