10. Park (Adrien)

"Get up Plagg." I urged as I finished brushing my hair. "It's still early..." The tiny cat groaned as he splayed out on my pillow. I rolled my eyes and took out a piece of Camembert. Plagg's eyes opened instantly when he caught the scent. "Never too early for Camembert!" He squealed happily as he scarfed it down. "Good, now that you're up let's go." I said as I made my way downstairs.

"Your breakfast is served Adrien." Natalie gestured towards the dining room. "I'm not eating today Natalie, sorry." I muttered as I walked past her and towards the driveway. "So, what's your hurry?" Plagg asked as I climbed in. "No hurry. Just want to get to school on time." I retorted as I buckled my belt. "Sure. I'm certain your knowledge that Ladybug is in your class has nothing to do with that."

"Shhh." I reminded him as I glanced out the window and cleared my throat. I could already feel my heart racing. "I've decided that I'm going to tell Marinette the truth." I said seriously. "Are you nuts?!" Plagg flew up from my book-bag, his little nubs on his hips. "I love her Plagg, and now that I know she likes me too, there's nothing stopping me. "But she doesn't like Cat Noir!" He reminded. "But she likes Adrien, and that's enough for me." I finished as we pulled up to the school's gate.

"Thanks." I said to my driver as I got out and closed the door. I took in a deep breath and gathered my courage as I caught a glimpse of her raven hair contrasting against the sunlight. I couldn't help the smile the quirked my lips as I followed her into the classroom. As I made my way up the stairs, I could feel my bravado begin to falter. She was already in her seat talking to Alya.  "Gosh she's beautiful..." I mused as I stared. She turned around instinctively, causing my courage to catch in my throat. "Ok Adrien time to be brave..." I urged myself as I smiled and waved. 

"Morning Marinette." I greeted as calmly as I could manage. "Morning dude!" Nino fist bumped me just before sitting down. I took in a deep, steadying breath just as the teacher walked in and began class.

(A few hours later)

"Ok everyone, enjoy your lunch and please be back on time..." The teacher reminded as she picked up her books and made her way out of class. "I'm going to do it." I said to myself as I took in a deep breath and made my way towards her. She was struggling to put her books away. I was about to speak when she dropped the whole bag, causing all her stuff to spill out. I bent down instinctively to help her retrieve everything.

"Here." I kept my voice steady as I handed her the book. I could feel the blood rushing to my face as we locked gazes for a second. "T—thank you!" She stammered a little too loudly as she took the last book and slipped it properly in her bag. Before she could leave, I gathered the courage to speak. "Hey uh Marinette, I was wondering if you and Alya wanted to have lunch with Nino and me."  Nino looked at me questioningly. I hadn't told him anything.

"Yea! We'll be right out!" Alya enthused as she brought Marinette in for a side hug. Her face was a mixture of embarrassment and excitement. I couldn't help but smile again. "Okay, see you outside then!" I enthused as I made my way down the steps towards the patio. "Dude, what's with the sudden lunch plans?" I shrugged casually. "Nothing, I just thought it would be fun to invite the girls to have lunch with us..." I trailed off. "Besides, I know you've been dying to have lunch with your girl." I enticed as I raised an eyebrow at him. He looked away and cleared his throat nervously once the girls stepped out.

"So where to?" Alya asked as she squeezed Marinette again. "Well there's this little cart at the park I've always wanted to try." I suggested before glancing at Marinette from the corner of my eye. "Alya and I were just talking about it today." She admitted before shifting her bookbag. "Should we get going then?" I asked and was met with unanimous nods. I fell behind Nino purposefully so he could walk next to Alya. Once he was out of the way, I synced my step with Marinette's.

"I can't believe it. I'm finally going to have a lunch date with My Lady." My mind swirled as I struggled to contain my excitement. I tried to think of clever things to say, but for some reason couldn't think of any. Why was it so hard to be clever as Adrien? Cat Noir never had that problem. It didn't take long to arrive at the park. Once we'd found the guy behind the little cart, we approached and focused our eyes on the menu. Marinette glanced at Alya for a brief second. She seemed, anxious? "Maybe she doesn't have lunch money." I thought to myself.

"Go ahead and order guys, It's on me." I offered then, hoping I didn't come across as some spoiled rich boy. After Alya and Nino had placed their orders, it was Marinette's turn. I watched her curiously as she stared at the menu. I took a step forward her after a few seconds, trying my best to make her feel at ease. "You okay?" I asked coolly. I didn't want to pressure her after all. I watched as a blush crept up to her face .

"Ye—yeah! Fine I am, I mean. I'm fine!" She stammered, causing me to chuckle. "Hm... how about we get a baguette sandwich and split it? One is always too much for me." I admitted." She nodded. "Sure." After I paid for the food, the four of us made our way to a nearby table with shade. Alya and Marinette sat on one side of the table and Nino and I sat on the other. After nervously fumbling with the plastic knife they gave us, I finally managed to divide the sandwich. At first we ate in silence. Marinette seemed to enjoy her sandwich as well. 

I turned my attention toward Nino and Alya for a few seconds as they chatted effortlessly. They made it look so easy. I glanced down towards my bag when I felt Plagg getting restless. "Hey what's that?" Marinette pointed up at the sky then. I took the chance to sneak a piece of the sandwich into my bag for Plagg. "We can't see anything girl." Alya trailed off as she looked back at her friend. "Yeah, it's gone now." She said apologetically before continuing to eat. Alya shrugged it off. After another few minutes, Alya and Nino stood and discarded their trash.

"Hey I saw that guy was also selling ice cream, do you want some?" Alya asked as she leaned toward her boyfriend. "Yea I'll come with you." He said as he joined her. "Do you guys want some?" Alya asked as she glanced at us. "Yea I'll take a cup." I chimed before turning towards Marinette.

"Me—me too!" She stammered once it was her turn to answer. "Do you want me to help you?" She asked and began to stand. I blinked as Alya put her hands on her friend's shoulders and sat her down brusquely. I arched a brow as she whispered something into Marinette's ear. "Behave kids." She said with a wink before walking away with Nino. It got a little harder to talk when I realized we were alone. After a few minutes of stifling silence, I cleared my throat.

"So, Alya's quite the character huh?" I asked as I ran my fingers through my hair; a bad habit I'd picked up over the years. "Yeah she can be a handful sometimes, but she's a great friend and loyal to a fault. Plus she's always there when you need her." She said with a confident smile. I nodded. I was about to say something when I noticed a small trace of sauce from the sandwich left on her cheek.

"Oh, you have something on your face." I informed as I gestured to her cheek. She tried wiping it off with her sleeve unsuccessfully. "It's still there." I admitted awkwardly as I handed her a napkin from the table. She scrubbed her face vigorously, but still managed to miss it. "Here... let me..." I offered as I stood and walked around the table. I took a seat next to her along with another napkin from the table. "Hold still." I instructed as I leaned in to clean her porcelain face. I could feel my cheeks darken and my pulse accelerate as her sweet scent reached my nose. She smelled like cookies.

 I swallowed forcibly as I studied her. She was radiant. Unwillingly, my gaze fell upon her cherry lips. They looked... so soft. "I wonder what they taste like..."

"Adrien?" Her voice pulled me out of those inappropriate thoughts. "Ye—yes...Marinette?" I asked, lowering the napkin. "I have to tell her. I have to tell her who I am!" My brain urged as she spoke. "I have to tell you something..." She trailed off timidly. Her face was a dark shade of crimson now. "Is she okay?" I wondered then as I studied her. "Adrien, I wanted to say that I...I..."