25. Countdown (Marinette)

My heart sank. "Cat...?" I asked as I felt my knees weaken. He didn't respond. "Come on. This isn't funny." I scolded, praying that he would open his eyes. "Cat!" I shouted as I knelt by his side. His hair and costume were drenched. "Come on Cat, Please!" My voice cracked as I shook him. He didn't budge. I could feel my eyes watering when I got no response. His face was pale, and his lips were turning blue. I placed my ear near his nose and found that he wasn't breathing. Without hesitating, I pinched his nose with my thumb and index finger and blew air into his lungs. I pressed on his chest firmly a couple of times, before repeating the process.

(Beep)

My miraculous beeped the first time. I had 4 minutes to go. "Please." I whispered as I continued to press on his chest. "Please wake up Cat." I begged as I desperately blew more air into his lungs. "Please, don't do this to me." I sobbed as I continued pressing on his chest. I repeated the process one more time, tears pouring down my cheeks. 

(COUGH! COUGH!)

I pulled away as his eyes shot open. His lips returned to their normal color as water gushed from his mouth. "Cat!!" I threw myself on top of him and embraced him as hard as I could. He wrapped his arm around my waist.

"L—ladybug?" He asked once he'd caught his breath.  

(Beep-Beep)

My miraculous beeped a second time, signaling my 3 minutes. I paid no attention to it. "Ow, easy on the chest." He chuckled. I pulled back sheepishly.

"I—I'm sorry..." I trailed off as I wiped my tears. "I'm just really happy you're okay." I admitted with a large teary smile. His eyes opened wide. "M'Lady, you've been crying." He said as he placed his hand on my cheek and wiped away a stray tear as I closed my eyes. "You stupid Cat..." I whispered as I placed my hand over his. "Don't you ever do that again, you hear?" I scolded softly, my voice cracking again.

"I don't know what I would do without you." A soft smile crossed his lips as he hugged me again. "I'm sorry for worrying you..." He whispered as he pet the back of my head. "I'm not going anywhere." He assured as he rested his chin on my head.

(Beep-Beep)

The sound made him pull away. "Ladybug, your miraculous!" He urged as he looked at my earrings. I had two spots left. I stood up wearily and rubbed my eyes. "It's time for me to go Kitty." I said as I twirled my yo-yo. Part of me wanted to stay right there with him. He stood up shakily and a little off balance. "Woah Kitty." I whispered as I steadied him. 

The sun had begun to set, painting the sky various shades of orange and pink. The temperature had dropped already, causing a soft breeze to blow past us. Cat shivered lightly; his costume was still wet. "You don't have to go..." he trailed off as he held onto my hand. I smiled as I brushed his wet bangs away from his face. He blushed a deep shade of crimson. "Ladybug, I love—" I didn't let him finish his sentence. Without thinking, I pulled him in by his bell and pressed my lips against his.