Chapter 2: Somewhere I Belong

Puen caught up with boys in no time. He almost immediately extracted Achi from Than's arms with a muttered gruffly "I'm stronger" comment. Than rolled his eyes at this, but let Puen have his way. The older guy seemed to consider Achi.

"So... You're quite tall, are you... Maybe... Interested in any sports?" He asked offhandedly.
Before Achi could answer this unexpected question, Than interjected sounding a bit amused.

"P', don't even try to recruit him. He's obviously a musician."

"Oh. Ohhh. Ok." The captain of the volleyball team was clearly embarrassed.

This made Than laugh even more, but Puen couldn't get angry with his teammate these days, as he used to do when they first met. This was very strange indeed, but when he stole a quick glance at his junior's grinning face, he felt momentarily so happy for no damn reason whatsoever. Even missing one practice didn't seem like a big deal in that very second.

"... so unbelievable!" Than's indignant voice broke Puen out of his reverie, and he belatedly realized he lost track of time and conversation happening between two freshman.
Than paused for a moment, as if he was considering something.

"The thing is," he started hesitantly "my roommate isn't supposed to arrive for another month, because he's still traveling, so you could stay with me while waiting for the housing department to come up with the solution." Achi looked unconvinced, so Than appealed to his senior.

"It's a win-win situation, right P'?" The boy looked at Puen so earnestly, the the latter couldn't do anything but nod, even if he wasn't entirely sure what he was agreeing to.
Achi seemed partly hopeful, and partly skeptical at such a generous offer.

"I wouldn't want to impose on you, because I have to practice a lot on my own, so I'd have to do that in dorms..." He admitted reluctantly.

"Whenever I'm not in classes, I'll be at the gym," Than wasn't fazed one bit "so you'll be interrupting no one. And other residents will just have to deal."

Finally Puen realized what this conversation was about, but it was too late to oppose the idea. Technically there was nothing wrong with it, but sophomore felt irrational pang of disappointment that he wouldn't be able to freely spend time in his junior's room, like he did the last three evenings. Ridiculous, Puen scoffed at himself, suddenly irritated with his unreasonable reaction.

Nevertheless, when they reached the dorms, the older volleyball player couldn't shake off his strange mood. When Than got busy with putting cold compress on Achi's ankle, he sat on the parapet by the window, idly playing with a pen he found on the table, purposely not paying attention to anything else.

Suddenly he was startled by the feeling of something cold touching his cheek, and when he looked sideways, he found Than with a can of his favorite soda in hand.

"Oh, where did it come from?" Puen asked surprised, but pleased.

"I store it in my fridge, for you." Was his junior's simple and honest answer.

Puen tilted his head up surveying the boy standing in front of him, slowly nodded, and with a slight smile playing on his lips wordlessly accepted the bottle. He looked around the room and spotted a sleeping form in a previously not occupied bed.

"Poor kid," he said thoughtfully, meaning Achi. "That was a good thing you did for him."

"Of course," Than said with a confidence in his voice. "I learned it from someone who helped me once." He added seriously, looking straight into Puen's eyes.

"Erm," he started, smiling but visibly flustered. He unconsciously scratched the side of his neck with one finger. "No need to say that..."

"Eh? I meant coach Win." The younger boy raised his eyebrows in a surprise, but there was that undefinable twinkle in his eye.