Chapter 27: About Myself

After the semester ended, Puen and Than had a lot of time on their hands. They could sleep in if they wished, they didn't have to rush with their meals, and of course they were able to spend their days on doing everyday stuff, like shopping, cooking or going out. They often met with their friends and did fun things together, but some days they wanted to be alone. Just the two of them.

On one of such occasions they rode on Puen's motorcycle to the center of Bangkok, to walk around without purpose, eat various treats and enjoy themselves, like other couples did.

"P', that's Papaya Vintage Shop! Can we go in there?" The freshman grabbed his boyfriend's forearm.

"Why not." Puen agreed easily, with a half-smile. "Are you looking to expand your Joker collection? We'll soon run out of space."

"No." Than pulled a face. "But my sister heard about this place from older kids and asked me to get something for her."

They went in and were kind of overwhelmed by the sheer amount of peculiar and unusual things.

"Are you sure she meant this place?" The sophomore raised his eyebrow at life-size super heroes statues situated next to a pinball machine and an umbrella with Katana handle. That last one was actually pretty cool and realistic.

"Yeah, I just need to find something that she'd like, which could take hours, because this place is huge." He moaned, but then he caught a glimpse of colorful China dolls. "P', what do you think? Aren't they nice?"

"I guess. Maybe a 'Frozen Lunch Box' would be more appropriate, though." He was no expert on such things, as he didn't have siblings, but it was hard to miss the popularity of the movie.

"No, this is the one, P'. She even resembles my sister!" The setter said happily, holding a dolls with long, straight hair. "And I can give it to her as a birthday gift, when I'm in town for my cousin's wedding."

This stopped Puen, who heard about this trip for the first time.

"When are you going?" He queried, trying to sound as normal as possible.

"Didn't I mention it?" Than was astonished at his own forgetfulness. "It's at the beginning of the next month. We're not that close, but my family expects me to be there."

When he was paying for the doll a thought struck him.

"P', why don't you come with me? I'm sure they wouldn't mind it, if I brought a friend." His big eyes were sparkling with enthusiasm.

That was the thing. He didn't want to be perceived as Than's friend anymore. Dating openly in Bangkok was so easy and fun, it would be unbearable to pretend they weren't an item. Besides, Than's father might have been coping with their relationship, but the sophomore didn't delude himself into thinking that it would take mere months to accept it fully and unconditionally. And if that ever happened, there were no guarantees that he'd let the extended family know about his existence.

"That's ok. Maybe some other time." He replied, not meeting Than's clear gaze. He didn't want his boyfriend to feel pressured or guilty, since his relationship with father was problematic without adding Puen to the mix.

Although the boy was a little disappointed by this flat-out rejection, he didn't pry for the reasons. He also didn't have the opportunity to dwell on it, because as they stopped by a convenience shop to buy a gum, he spotted Sudsapda magazine, with the members of the volleyball team on the cover.

"Whoa, it's really here!" He turned a few pages."We look so..."

"Photoshopped?" Puen suggested wryly, making Than snigger.