Chapter 21: Umbrella

Kluay was determined to carry Achi over the threshold, so he asked the boy to ring the bell, because his own hands were otherwise occupied. Despite the late hour, the butler opened the door immediately and welcomed them politely, not even batting an eye at this unusual sight. During his thirty years of service at the Wijitwongthong mansion he's seen and heard almost everything, and learned not to be surprised by anything the members of this family did. Especially not the youngest son, who currently teased his companion and reluctantly set the boy on his feet. And yet, their appearance was sudden enough, that he forgot to mention that young master Kluay had visitors. So, when the boys entered the spacious living room, they were stunned to see three people, dressed to the nines and sitting comfortably on the sofa. Actually, only Achi was perplexed, because Kluay just smiled stoically, still casually keeping his arm over the freshman's shoulder.

"Pôr, mâe, P', what brings you here? Is it Songkran already?" He scratched his head, confused.

"Do we need a reason to make a trip to our home?" Kluay's mother asked him pointedly.

"I'd say so. Yeah." The swimmer agreed shamelessly and forcefully made Achi move forward, because he stood frozen in the spot.

"Well, true." The woman admitted airily. "However, did you expect anything else, when there are certain videos circulating on the Internet?"

"Aren't there always?" Kluay waved it off and plopped in the armchair. He tried to get Achi to sit next to him, but the musician nervously resisted.

"Videos of you, confessing to courting a boy." She clarified and concentrated her attention on the nervous freshman. "This boy."

"Not to mention, countless news covering your little love affair." Kluay's sister, Karan, sniggered gleefully.

The sophomore's father didn't say anything, and calmly read the paper in his hands.

"So I did my research–" The woman started as she neared the boy and slowly circled him.

"Yourself?" Kluay cocked an eyebrow.

"Don't be absurd." She said incredulously. "I know people that know people." And then she focused again on her target. "You must be Achi Teepprasan."

She inspected him thoughtfully, while the boy was shooting worried glances at Kluay. Unlike other times, when he was in distress, the sophomore didn't rush to his defense, but instead winked at him and swiped the drink from the table.

"Sawasdee krab, khun." Achi greeted all the members of his boyfriend's family. Alarmed as he was, he instinctively recalled his manners and his poker face was back in place. Years of brushing shoulders with important guests of his aunt's taught him to be always respectful and never ever show his emotions, no matter how he felt. To his surprise, it wasn't as easy as it used to be, because he realized that he didn't have to do that for quite some time. Since he met new friends and...P'.

"You're somewhat tall. I like that." She gave the boy the measuring stare. "And you don't seem vapid, nor coy. I like that even more." The woman said. "Kluay's last girlfriend, what was her name? Rin? She was beaming foolishly every time we met. And chirping incessantly. She hurt my eyes and ears." She sighed dramatically.

"Mother." The swimmer whined, tired of hearing the old argument again and again. They broke up more than a year ago, but his mâe never let him forget that.

"Well, she did." The woman shrugged nonchalantly and fixed her eyes on Achi. "As for you, you're a boy."

"Yes, khun." The freshman nodded carefully, not sure where she was going with it.