Chapter 18: Aftermath

"Pôr..." Than whispered, all joy and excitement gone from his face.

Puen shot him a sharp look and then glanced ahead. There they were, Than's father and older brother. It reminded him of the first time he'd seen them, in the similar setting, but the circumstances were a lot different. He remembered well the tearful and heartbreaking conversation between Than and his father, soon after the boy joined the team. Even though his junior told him to go, he secretly listened to their heated words, not even then willing to leave him alone. If he was honest with himself, that was probably the moment he stopped thinking of the new setter as his own personal enemy. The hate, that he worked so hard on maintaining, started disappearing, letting other feelings replace it.

Puen didn't know how Than and his father got along right now, except that they made that agreement that cost his boyfriend a lot, so things couldn't be easy. If he was the cause of another rift between them, he wouldn't forgive himself. Which didn't mean he would roll over and let the older man dictate Than's life. Puen wai-ed respectfully, but moved closer to the freshman in a show of solidarity. Than's father gave him a measuring, penetrating look and then focused his attention on his younger son.

"Than." He said grimly. "Let's talk." Then he looked at him companion. "Leave us alone."

"Father, please..." Top began but halted, seeing the older man's serious face.

"You go first, P'." The freshman said calmly to Puen, but his eyes betrayed traces of uneasiness.

"Are you sure?" His boyfriend inquired, searching the boy's face.

When Than only nodded he didn't argue, only squeezed his hand in comfort, not giving a damn about the audience, and went ahead. However, instead of going to the locker rooms he stopped around the corner and leaned on the wall with his arms crossed. He was determined to take care of Than this time around, whether he asked for it or not.

***

Than was frozen in spot, his heart hammering, but he made himself stand straight and not flinch when his father came nearer. He could take it, even if that was the last straw that broke camel's back. He could manage without family's support, he could...

"Than." "Pôr." They said simultaneously, and paused, breaking the eye contact. The quiet that fell was both awkward and nerve-wracking.

The man coughed and said suddenly.

"You played in both volleyball matches this season, even though you're only a freshmen."

That was a statement, not a query, so Than silently inclined his head.

"You've gotten better." The man admitted curtly.

Those words shocked the boy, but he still didn't let his guard down.

"Thank you." He muttered cautiously, not knowing where this conversation was going.

There was again a long break, and just as Than was about to say something, his father spoke up.

"Are your grades alright? Did you keep your promise"

That was such an out of the blue question that Than looked up, surprised.

"Yes, sir." The boy answered at once.

"I see." His parent exhaled a long breath and finally proclaimed. "You're a man of your word. What else a father could wish for?"

Than bit his lip, trying to suppress the tears that he felt were coming. He hasn't shown such sign of vulnerability to his dad since he was in high school, and it was his first instinct not to do it even now, when he was seemingly offered an olive branch.