Chapter 7: A Pain That I'm Used To

When a local police station received a complaint about noise coming from the Wijitwongthong estate, all officers present groaned and tried to wiggle out of going there. In the end, four younger recruits were made to go, with an advice from the seniors to treat it as a learning experience; to be firm and short and not to make trouble...for themselves, because the Wijitwongthong boy would certainly try their patience. What they didn't expect to see, was a regular brawl involving sons of some of the most prominent Bangkok families. If there ever was a time to tread lightly, that was it.

"Umm, we'd need to talk with your parents." Said the first officer, scratching his head, with an inflection at the end of the sentence like it was a question, instead of a statement.

"I don't think that's a realistic expectation." Kluay replied in a blasé manner and shrugged.

"What the fuck are you doing!?" Puen wanted to smack him on the head. "Do you enjoy making trouble for all us!?

"My father is in the USA on a business trip and my mother is doing some charity work in Belize. Pray tell me, which one of them should I ask to come? Kluay's words were dripping with sarcasm.

That took the wind out of Puen's sails but he quickly regained his composure. "Alert the Pope, for all I care, just do something."  He hissed, his eyes flashing in irritation.

"Excuse me officers, I've got to make a call to the Prime Minister." The swimmer wryly informed the cops, who wisely took a step back when the two athletes started sparring verbally.

Kluay moved a few meters away, and Puen gazed at both freshmen sitting in the lounge chairs, shivering, despite being wrapped up in towels. Then he shot the four-third years a menacing look, and Kao was the first to break the eye contact.

It was only the eight of them now, because all other guest had been asked to leave after the cops arrived and put a stop to a fight. Since Kluay gave all servants the night off, there were no adults on premises, and so the members of the police force insisted on talking with a guardian, who'd take responsibility for them. Which resulted in a current, rather awkward situation.

Kluay returned and, before Puen could ask anything, he announced with a mock salute in the direction of the cops, who looked like they regretted coming to work that day.

"You can rest easy now. The calvary is coming."

***

The reinforcements arrived merely twenty minutes later and turned out to be the coach of the swim team and, to everybody's shock, his husband – a world class swimmer Waii Pirapat. The night was getting more and more interesting in Kluay's opinion, but when he shared this thought with unamused Puen, the fellow sophomore didn't deign him with a reply.

Apo, was briefly clued in by his student on the problem, surveyed the scene and began working towards diffusing this potentially sticky situation. While he talked with the officer in charge, he sent his silent and somber husband urging looks, which obviously meant that he was supposed to make nice with the other cops and try to charm them. Waii was clearly not in his element, but everybody was too impressed to care and soon enough the mood has changed. The officers took a few selfies with the famous athlete, and left the boys with a half-hearted warning. The third-years were escorted out, and just like that everybody breathed a collective sigh of relief.

"Thank you, coach," Kluay said gratefully, perfectly aware that it was almost 4 a.m. in the morning and he basically pulled them out of bed in the middle of the night, to deal with someone else's troubles.

"Let this be a lesson to you," Apo tried sounding stern, but it was not in his nature. "I understand drinking, but fighting like that was so reckless. What made you do it?"