Chapter 26: Almost Unreal (What If...? Part 2)

2017, Autumn

Than knew that he'd regret the day he agreed to participate in that damn Moon & Star contest, but it would have been rude to refuse when the senior from his department asked him. P'Kawin took Than under his wing when he arrived in Bangkok, so to speak, therefore he felt he owed him. But still, he continued to be apprehensive while signing down his name, and predictably it went downhill from there, since he unfortunately won. Some people would find it enjoyable, like his infamous predecessor, but he thought it was pretty tiresome. His courses were demanding enough without having to do various stupid activities, not to mention, the attention he got from girls and even a few guys. In his heart he was an athlete, so being admired for his looks alone was frankly perplexing.

"Nong Moon!" A bright voice distracted him from his thoughts. "Why are you brooding instead of enjoying the perks of being famous? Such an opportunity comes only once in a lifetime..." Kluay made himself comfortable next to the boy and paused as if considering this wonderful, in his opinion, circumstance. "If you need someone to guide you through the those crucial times, let P' know."

Than looked at the sophomore's self-satisfied face and, for the hundredth time, he pondered if he was ever serious. He was confident to the point of being obnoxious, arrogant beyond belief and yet, Than couldn't entirely dislike him, like other well-off kids on campus. And speaking of which, two of them just joined them on the bench.

"Kluay, since when are you hanging out with the pride and joy of our department?" Kao lit up a cigarette and patted Than patronizingly on a back. "He's our Nong, you can't have him. Get your own mascot."

The boy always felt vaguely disturbed when he was being treated as a commodity, rather than a real person. From the day he became the Moon, this third-year student and his gang of friends seemed to decide that he'd love nothing more, than to be a part of their circle. They even went as far as talking to one of his professors, to let him miss a class, because they wanted him at their party. Like they would care about him, if not for that stupid title.

"Oh, I bet that Than and I have much more in common than you do." The handsome sophomore mused.

"Like what? Last time I checked he's poor and has no family connections to speak of." Pravat jibed and helped himself to Than's lunch.

The freshman winced inwardly, feeling humiliated. Those words and the tone were offensive, but what really got his blood boiling was the fact that they didn't give a damn if he heard it or not.

"For one, we're both extremely pretty." The unspoken unlike you, hang heavily in the air. "For another, people fight for our attention, we don't have to dangle after them." Kluay managed to slip in a second dig and winked at Than, thoroughly enjoying himself.

It made the boy smile involuntarily as well. Yes, this P' was shameless and outrageous, but sometimes it wasn't a bad thing. The other guys were not amused though.

"Hey, guys. Ah, Than, I was looking everywhere for you." Kawin stopped by their table, not knowing that he's just proved Kluay's point.

"What is it, P'?" The boy feigned obliviousness, sensing the annoyed stares of P'Kao and P'Pravat on himself.

"It's a surprise. Come with me and you'll see." He beckoned him and Than didn't need to be told twice. He wai-ed respectfully to P'Kluay and much less so to the third-years from Business Management department, and rushed after P'Kawin.

When they were far away from the table the senior spoke up.

"I'm not saying that you shouldn't have fun this year, but try not to get sucked in into that crowd. Their lifestyle is not for you." He cautioned, looking at Than from the corner of his eye. He wanted to put an arm over the boy's shoulder in a friendly fashion, but hesitated one second too long and chickened out.