Epilogue: New Year's Day

Four and a half years later

New Year's Eve

Puen hastily ran into his empty house. Technically, it was his and Than's, because they both chose and paid for it, after carefully looking around for a bigger apartment, however in has never felt like this for the older guy. Maybe it was because just his things were lying everywhere, which wasn't that surprising, considering that he's been the only one living there for the better part of the year.

When he graduated and was offered a spot in Air Force Men's Volleyball Club, it was like a dream come true. The team was founded in 2016, but they had already snatched a Championship and a Runner-up title in the Volleyball Thailand League, so they had potential. And best of all, they were located in Don Mueang District, which meant that he could stay in Bangkok, while Than was continuing his studies. He secretly hoped that his boyfriend would join him on a team, since his new captain was very impressed with Than's abilities on a volleyball court. Unfortunately, others have noticed and appreciated them too.

The young setter garnered a lot of attention over the years, but his star grew brighter than ever as he was about to graduate himself. So, when Than left Kasetsart University, he could pick any club he wanted, and since he still felt like he had a lot to prove to his family, he decided to go with the best, which was obviously Nakhon Ratchasima team. They had the most wins in the League and their conditions were the most generous when it came to money, therefore Puen understood his boyfriend, but the long distance from Bangkok made him slightly apprehensive.

At first they tried to pretend that it wasn't a problem. Than made three hour drives to be with Puen in the evenings, only to get up in the middle of the night and ride back to Nakhon Ratchasima for a morning practice. The older guy couldn't let this go on, and they settled on meeting solely during days without trainings. It was about that time they found this condo, which was much more spacious and comfortable with its two guest bedrooms, so that their friends or Than's family could stay over whenever they wanted. One year later, none of those things happened, because the setter was practically never there. Nowadays they saw each other merely for a few days every three or four weeks, and Puen was slowly getting tired of counting time till their repeated reunions, because they were followed by an increasingly more painful partings of the ways.

Stop it, he commanded his traitorous mind as he packed his bag, let's not think about it now. He was going to meet Than soon, and didn't want his gloomy mood to spoil this rare and joyous occasion.

When the phone rang, he picked it up without checking the caller ID.

"What?" He barked irritated, because he couldn't find the dress shirt he got from his boyfriend for birthday.

"Is that how you greet your best friend?" Kluay faked sounding wounded.

"Of course not. Just you." Puen deadpanned, rummaging through his closet.

"Hmmm, someone's a bit testy." The swimmer remarked. "Remember to adjust your humor before you get off the plane in Koh Samui. You wouldn't want to start New Year's celebrations like this, would you now?"

"Heaven forbid." Puen retorted sarcastically.

"Well, if not for yourself, do it for others. Everybody is looking forward to my party." The other guy reminded him.

That was undoubtedly true. This time around Kluay had an idea to organize the big bash on an island and invited hundreds of guests to travel there on his dime. For most people it was basically a good opportunity to have fun on Koh Samui free of charge, but for the four long-time friends it was also a trip down memory lane. A sentimental journey to the past, where things were much simpler and possibilities were endless. It was the place of their first vacation together, that promised them the world, and it sort of happened. He and Than had successful sport careers, Achi was a member of Royal Bangkok Symphony Orchestra and Kluay competed in swimming events on an International level, but somehow the reality was less rosy than their dreams.