Chapter 9: I Got You

The cellphone laid forgotten on a cupboard.

When it rang a few minutes ago, Achi was sure Mrs. Paksukcharern would stop cleaning the bathroom down the hallway and come to answer it, but either she didn't hear it, or she didn't want interrupt her work, because nothing happened.

Achi took a deep breath, got up from the bed and nervously reached for the phone, his eyes never leaving the slightly ajar bedroom door. When his fingers curled around the object he desired, he gulped audibly, because now came the hard part.

One week earlier

Achi left Prof. Metanee's office with a light heart and giddy feeling of wonder. The whole faculty staff was so impressed with his performance they informed him, that if he'd be willing to work even harder from now on, he'd be a strong contender for a scholarship next year. The professor also advised him to prepare a few other pieces, because there's a great possibility that he'd be invited to show off his skills elsewhere.

Achi couldn't wait to tell his friends about it; and how great was it, that he had people around that would actually care? To his own amazement, his first thought was that, it was so lucky that he was on his way to Kluay's competition, because he could share this news in person. 'There is nothing wrong with it', he reasoned with himself. It was just because the swimmer was behind the surprise at the concert hall and later on was so complimentary about his abilities. 'Nothing else to it', Achi decided, nevertheless the musician was still looking forward to breaking up his routine that afternoon.

The boy stopped by his room to leave his violin, but when he was about to head out, his phone rang. When Achi saw that it his aunt calling, he got a bit nervous, even though he knew that his performance was a success and technically there was nothing she could be dissatisfied. Some habits die hard, so he still answered the call cautiously. She demanded that he at once come back home, and in fact someone was on his way to pick him up. He was to pack the essentials and hurry up, because the matter was pressing.

That wasn't something the freshman had expected. He was dismayed at the thought of leaving everyone behind so suddenly. Kluay finally managed to wrangle a promise out of Achi to cheer on the swimmer today, and the boy felt kind of bad for backing out at the last minute. There was also Than's match next week, but fortunately it was still a long time away, and he'd certainly be back by then.

Unhappily he stuffed his things in a bag and wrote a few words for Than. When he was considering if he should leave a note of apology for Kluay, his got a message commanding him to go down. He decided to send him some explanation later, but promptly forgot about it when he saw his aunt waiting for him. She looked more forbidding than ever and he instinctively took a step back. Achi unwillingly got into the cab, which was supposed to take them straight to the airport, and he mournfully observed in a rear view mirror the university buildings and dorms getting smaller and smaller.

They didn't exchange a word during a ride, but when they boarded a plane Achi's aunt extended her hand.

"Give me your phone." The woman ordered. When she noticed her nephew's apprehension she smiled coldly. "You cannot use it on a plane. Frankly speaking, I don't trust you to obey the rules." Achi couldn't do anything but comply, not knowing what was in store for him.

When they reached the house a few hours later, he was immediately informed that he'd be transferring to a different University. He was also forbidden to attempt to make any contact with people from KU, and after his phone and laptop were confiscated, he really felt isolated from the rest of his world.

"Please aunt, I don't want to go anywhere else." He protested weakly. "I don't want to leave my friends."

"Why? Are you afraid you'd be missing all those wild raves." She raised one eyebrow and crossed her arms.