Chapter 14: Come As You Are

Monday morning Puen parked his motorcycle in front the university building and Than, who was sitting behind him, got off and handed him back the helmet.

"I can't believe it's October already." The boy said moodily. "The first match of the season is less than two months away, and we can't lose. If only I didn't have those statistics tests coming up, I could –"

"I'm the captain of the team, let me worry about it. You take care of yourself." Puen smiled tenderly at his boyfriend, lacing their fingers together, and wanted to add something but was interrupted by one of his teammates.

"P'! I'll be late by fifteen minutes today!" Mew shouted from a distance.

Than immediately slipped his hand out of Puen's grasp and the sophomore acutely felt the sudden loss. Right. They agreed to keep their team members in the dark for now, but the sophomore couldn't deny that it stung, even if he knew it was only temporary. He could already feel a bit of awkwardness seeping in, as if there was an invisible barrier keeping them apart.

"Is there something the matter P'?" Than detected the shift in his friend's attitude, but before he could inquire more white BMW, with a top down and music blasting, parked next to them with a flourish.

Predictably, the captain of the swim team had to make a splash arriving, but this time around he was accompanied by Achi, wearing an expression of a deer caught in the headlights. He scrambled to get out of the car, but had hard with unlocking his seatbelt, until Kluay calmly helped him with an indulgent smile. A few people greeted the sophomore, but most of them were strangers happy to snap a picture of the famous guy making a grand entrance on Monday morning.

"Remind me to try not to time our arrivals together in the future." Puen said irritably to Than, making him chuckle. That sound and the twinkle in the boy's eyes was enough to lift his spirits.

"Someone less confident would think your remark was a dig at me," Kluay heard that last comment, but it didn't faze him. Instead he casually propped his forearm on Puen's shoulder. "But I think it's fairly obvious that you're just apprehensive to be seen and compared with me."

Both freshmen shared commiserating, amused smirks.

"You wish." The volleyball player grouched, but didn't brush him off. "How can you stand it, though?" He asked soberly, meaning the people milling around, shooting him curious glances and those openly staring fangirls.

"I got used to it." Kluay shrugged nonchalantly. "And so will you, my friends." He said it to no one in particular, and despite the guys giving him looks ranging from skeptical to horrified, not one negated the comment.

A group of seniors passed by them, not paying attention to anyone but Kluay, until the tallest of them took a double take and zeroed in on Than.

"I was hoping to run into you." Kawin smiled warmly at the freshman and the swimmer, and then nodded somewhat formally at Puen, who did the same. The grudging respect was the level of civility they could muster up for now, so Than only sighed inwardly and pretended not to notice their animosity.

"Don't you have statistics today?" The senior asked, while his friends waited patiently in the background. Some of them waived hello to Kluay and he greeted them in return. "I'm going to our faculty building, so if you want, we can quickly go over your notes from your last lecture."

"I wouldn't want to take more of your time than I already do, P'." Than hesitated, but Puen could sense that he seriously considered taking the senior up on his offer. The sophomore tensed involuntarily and Kluay discreetly clocked his reaction.