Chapter 22: For You

"Why are you hanging out here on a weekend?" Puen asked Kluay with a slight impatience in his voice. "Again."

He was working on strategies for the semifinals and the swimmer's presence served as an unnecessary distraction. It didn't much bother him, since he learnt to tune Kluay off, however, he was concerned that this guy's loud behavior would affect Than, who was currently studying for a few tests. Puen gazed at the boy, that sat on the floor by the small table and furiously scribbled equations in his notebook. Thankfully, he seemed so engrossed in revising, that he didn't pay much attention to anything else.

"Because Achi stood me up." The handsome athlete complained. "Why does he have to practice even on Sundays? I told him that he doesn't really need the full scholarship, because I've got loads of money and can pay for his studies, but he just hang up on me." Kluay was clearly baffled.

"Serves you right." Puen muttered under his breath. "But it doesn't explain why you are here."

"Because my other buddies are either on a trip in Koh Phangan, or out drinking, and I wanna be ready and sober when Achi finishes the practice. Fingers crossed he stops pouting at that point and I might get luc–"

"For the last time, keep your perverted thoughts to yourself." The captain of the volleyball team cut him off and once again looked at his boyfriend.

Than's hair was mussed from constantly raking the fingers through it and he was groaning from time to time, when he encountered a particularly difficult problem. He's been at it for three hours already without any break, and Puen suspected that the boy was getting hungry.

"Geez, prudish much?" Kluay snorted and reached for another carrot stick. "And what's up with this rabbit food?"

"It's called a nutritious diet." Puen got up from the sofa and went to the kitchenette area. "You should know something about it, since you're an athlete yourself." He pointed out.

"Pffft, I'm still young. My body can handle pizza and beer every day of the week." Kluay dismissed the concerns, optimistically.

"Then by all means, keep it up." The volleyball player said with disproval.

He put the chicken and rice dish into a microwave and proceeded cutting fresh veggies, while his friend found a new subject to pester him about.

"Check you out, acting like a good husband." Kluay teased Puen. "You've been living here for almost a month, so how about you keep your promise?"

"What is this new nonsense?" The spiker asked tiredly.

"The housewarming party of course." Kluay exclaimed and attempted to steal a sliced capsicum, but Puen swatted his hand.

"I didn't agree to any such thing." He vehemently denied.

"But you meant to." The swimmer insisted. "You know, socializing can be actually fun." He continued making his case.

Puen didn't answer and when the microwave stopped, he took out the bowl and put it on Than's table along with a salad and a tea.

"Thanks, P'." The boy murmured not even looking up. He reached for the food and started eating it mindlessly, without pausing his studies.

Puen briefly caressed Than's hair and went back to sofa.

"Everybody is dying to see how you get on. As my mâe always says, the public has the right to know." The other sophomore said with absolute conviction.

"What public? What right?" Puen stared at the guy oddly. "And nobody is dying."

"You get the drift." Kluay wasn't deterred. "Don't be so bloody difficult. Don't we all deserve some down time?"