Happiness

Riele's POV
"Danny stop! Please!" I screamed as Danny threw me to the corner of the room.

"You're getting what you deserve!" He yelled as he proceeded to slap and kick me.

I had enough. I was done with the abuse. I was done being treated badly. I missed Jace and Liliana. I tried running away.

I got caught

He came back just as I was about to leave. There was a suitcase and he guessed what I was doing. With every hit, kick or punch I feel my body go numb. Every single hurtful word that he says does not affect me. I'm used to it.

I shouldn't be used to getting hurt.

"I'm going to the bar! Don't try to run away again or it'll be worse" he threatened before leaving me there on the floor.

I get up and look in a mirror. I had a black eye and various black and blue bruises covering my arms like sleeves. I had a cut on my left cheek. I sigh to myself.

Suddenly there's a knock on the door. Danny must have forgotten his keys again. I open the door and find Jace and Liliana. Wait... What?

"Jace?" I ask in shock. I must be hallucinating.

He simply nods and I instinctively throw my arms around him in a hug. He hugs back with one arm. My worries and troubles begin to subside.

In his arms, I feel warmth. The feeling is safety, it's security. It's comfort and it's familiar. It's the feeling of coming home.

But that's when it hits me. He's here. He can't. If Danny comes back....

No. He will not get hurt, and neither will Liliana.

"What are you doing here?! You have to leave, right now!" I exclaim, pushing him away.

"Not without you" he states firmly.

"I c-can't leave. He'll find me. He'll find us"

"You can't stay. I can't let you" he takes a good look at me and gently brings a hand to cup my cheek "He did this to you?"

The anger is tone is clear. God, I didn't even think about that. I must look so ugly to him right now. Feeling unable to face him, I look down and nod.

"Hey look at me" Jace says softly. I look at him and he kisses me. The kiss is quick but it's gentle and filled with love. "I love you so much"

It feels so right hearing him say that.

"I love you so much too" I reply tearfully.

"Please Riele, come with us. We don't have much time" he pleads.

I remain hesitant "What about Isabela? How did you even-"

"She's gone. She's in prison and Danny will be too" he reassures me.

Should I take this risk? I may be able to escape... But what if I don't? What will happen to Jace and Lili?

"Mama!" Liliana's angelic voice brings me out of my thoughts.

"Mama!" She repeats reaching for me.

Jace looks at Liliana and chuckles "She's missed you a lot" he says handing her to me.

"I've missed her too. You have no idea" I reply holding her and kissing her head.

"I probably have some idea. I mean, I felt that way with you" he says which draws my attention back to him.

"It's too dangerous Jace. If he finds us..." I trail off, finding the thought unbearable.

"He won't find us. Look we'll call the police and that'll be it. We will be happy. You can be happy"