Chapter 1

New City. New School. New Life. New Everything. You're going to live Piper.

I felt my heart leap out of my chest as I was dropped off in front of the high school I would be attending. As a child, I heard horror stories about this school but I never thought I would be attending. But, here I am. I continuously tried to convince my mother that I should get my education at another school but she says, "Bull, you're going to high school or you are going to be socially deprived. I am not having a socially deprived child living in my house."

It is almost 9:30 and I knew I was late for homeroom. I was stalling my mom but it was zero percent effective. She did not want me to be away from school too long. So, I am here.

I stood staring at the entrance of the high school just short from frozen. This school is large with a brick exterior with over grown vines decorating the sides of the building. The grass is unkempt and growing wildly in areas. The steps are worn from generations of high school students stampeding them every school day. The school's green awning held the school's name in blue and white letters that were fading.

"What the hell am I doing! Suck it up!" I scream in my head as I force my legs to move towards the stairs. My fingers trail the railing and I feel my palms sweating. I pull the heavy duty doors and I am surprised by the lack of noise until the bell suddenly rings. Of course. I quickly walk into the main office before I get ambushed by the mass of my peers. The woman at the desk watched me in amazement as I turn to look at her.

"Good morning! What can I do for you today!" She nearly yelled in excitement. I do not believe I have ever seen someone so cheery in my life. The woman's flowing grey hair cascaded down her back and covered the many pins that were ever-so organized on her navy cardigan. Her yellow shirt button up shirt and black pants stood out as she pushed her bifocals onto the top of her head.

"Uh...I am Tess Andrews and I am new here, I guess." I said and she smiled as she went to her desk. I noticed that she had many pictures of students on her desk as well as Christmas lights decorating the rim of the metal. She grabbed an ugly barf green folder from her drawer stuffed a few papers in it from the schools ancient looking printer and she passed it to me. Oh no.

"Everything is in there. My apologies for the color of the folder but it is all we have. When orders go wrong we get a large influx of green folders," she laughed lightly.  I forced a smile onto my face and nodded.

"That's okay. I'll survive."

She winked. "Have a good first day Ms. Tess." I awkwardly walked away into the hallway distracted by the contents of this folder. I peeked into the folder and I saw a schedule and several other papers. I sighed and I felt my body run into someone else who was a lot larger than me. I fell to the ground with a sharp heavy force hitting my head.

I looked up into deep grey eyes that were hidden behind whipped brown hair. He held his hand out for me to grab onto and I did so hesitantly. I stood up grabbing my head as I noticed that I much smaller than the person I have had my first encounter with in this school.

"Sorry about that," he said in a calm but sincere voice. I instantly shook the pain and confusion off and I gripped my folder and backpack tighter.

I nodded and avoided eye contact. "It's okay." I hid my smirk and walked down the hall without looking back at that stranger forcing myself to find my class. I tried to look at my schedule but was distracted by a girl fumbling out the bathroom. She looked a little in a rush.

I hurried towards her to get her attention."Excuse me but where is room A17?" I ask, practically yelling. She looked at me and then a grin made it's way onto her face. I was slightly thrown off by her attire. Her basketball shorts, loose t-shirt and messy bun made it evident that she was very sporty and very energetic. She was carrying her cleats in her hands along with her backpack and a few papers.