Chapter 2

I am not all that fond of walking home from school. Especially, when I am walking home alone. As I was going up to my house the family next door's car pulled up. This neighborhood is quiet and empty. Not so much the white picket fence type. Not all that happy more or less cloudy and gray.

I dropped my keys on the table and closed the door behind me with my foot and sighed. My mom isn't home and there is nothing to do. I strolled into the kitchen and I grabbed the note taped to the fridge. 

'Tess, please do not cook anything I am going to be home soon. You can have a snack. I will be around soon. Love you.' I sighed and slammed the paper down on the counter.

I grabbed an apple out the bowl of fruit on the table and took a bite and the door bell rang. I trudged to the door and opened it. My dad was standing there. He didn't say anything I didn't say anything. I rushed over to him and hugged him so tight.

I embraced my father with all the strength that I had in my entire body. "I missed you so much Dad," I said into his shoulders as he dropped his things and hugged me back tighter. I inhaled his Old Spice scent.

"I missed you more my Piper." I laughed a little and tears started streaming down my face. I haven't seen my father for almost 5 years. He was deported in the middle of my 5th-grade year. He would call and stuff and we would send him letters but it was never the same. I slowly let him go and he looked at me smiling.

He looked at me. "You haven't changed much, but you are still my little emotional Piper," I smiled a little and let him in and he dropped his bag by the door.

"Why didn't you say you were coming home today. I would have been a whole lot more happy." I said.

"I wanted to surprise my two favorite girls in my life."

"I don't like surprises." I joked.

"I like the new house." He complimented.

"Yeah, mom said she wanted a bigger house. I don't blame her and I am not complaining."

"How long have you two been here?"

"Just a little over a week."

He started to look around. "Amy isn't home yet?" He said walking into the kitchen. Of course, that would be the first place he would explore.

"No, she won't be home for a while." He nodded and picked up the note on the counter. He leaned against the counter. He looked at me.

"She said you can't cook?" He asked looking up at me struggle to get onto the stool on the island. Stupid shortness.

"Well, yes. She says that all the time. I can't exactly cook without a parent present." I reassured him. He raised an eyebrow and smiled.

"We are making tacos and she will be happy. Otherwise, she is just being extra cranky and you will take the fall for it." I smiled.

"Deal." He started going through cabinets and drawers in the refrigerator to get the stuff he needs. I sat and watched and munched on my apple happily.

He is finally back home. The same dad that left and the same dad that came back from the war. I couldn't see why he would leave to go fight but it all came out better in the end. He's back.

"So, did your mom agree with the homeschooling deal?" 

"Um....no she didn't actually," I commented. "Since, when did being socially deprived become an excuse?"

"Ever since the first kid turned crazy when he had no friends and no type of outside experience." I raised my eyebrow.

"Just like you." He let out a laugh. A husky one to be exact.