Chapter 11

I had the phone sitting next to me while I laid on my bed looking at my white ceiling. My mom hasn't called yet and I have gotten even more nervous since yesterday. Val and Mason has stayed with me both nights. They have tried their best to cheer me up.

"Piper." I looked up from playing with my hands and looked at Mason and Val. They were both standing side by side. They both had worried looks on their face which really started to creep me out.

"We don't like seeing you like this." Mason started.

"I am fine." I tried reassuring.

"You didn't go asleep last night. You have dark circles under your eyes. You haven't left your room for two days. You won't eat anything. You are not okay." Val said. I can't argue with her. It's true.

"What am I supposed to do? I can't just leave home, she could come back at anytime." I stated.

"Go outside. I am sure that if she came back she would call you. I don't think your mom would forget you. She left the note." Mason said.

"I am just really scared for her." I said lowly.

"I am sure that she will call you to tell you that she is okay." Mason said.

"She is so used to writing me notes. She doesn't call me but I am hoping this is an exception."

"Don't worry so much you know. When you do that it could turn for the worst."

"Don't jinx me."

"Since, we are trying to get outside. There is a band competition on Thursday." I looked up at Val.

"I am not that good to compete." Not anymore anyways. I swore to myself that I would never play in a gig again in my life.

"Yes, you are. You are really talented Piper. Why do you keep denying it? You are one of the best I have ever known." He said. I looked up him.

"There's some history of why I can't." I said. I looked down at my hands again and I tried keeping back the tears that came with the memories. The many that I wish that I could forget.

"I know it can't be that bad. I mean you can perform in front of our class but not at a competition." Val said.

"If you knew. You would feel really bad about what you just said." I commented and there was an awkward silence.

"Tell me then." Mason finally said. I laid back on my bed and let my head fall onto the wall behind me. I sighed a little to cover how shaky my voice was going to come out as. Val scooted my chair over to me and Mason took a seat next to me. I could smell him.

"Just earlier this year. The band that I was in we had a gig one night. We were playing and when we were leaving the people from the bar came outside. They were calling me names and one of the guys in my band tried to protect me. He got shot and after that I never touched my guitar again."

"I wouldn't have pressured you to join my band.....I didn't know. I am really sorry." I shook my head and clutched the house phone even harder then before.

"I don't care. At least I am playing again, right. I wouldn't have done that without you. That's why I don't want to compete." I said. Mason looked at me knowingly and then Val joined me on my right side.

"That's ok. But, are you still going to go? Like stand in the crowd and scream to the top of your lungs with me." Val nudged me in the arm. I smiled a little bit.

"The first smile in a long time." Mason commented.

"Yeah. I will go but I am not stepping foot on that stage." I said and Val suddenly hugged me tightly.