Chapter 4

I stood in the parking lot waiting for my extremely late mom who is never on time for anything. I started pacing around a tree in the parking lot with my guitar in hand. My fingers began to caress the rough edges of the bark and the silence calmed me. 

"Piper." I turned around suddenly and Val was standing just a few feet away smiling. I feel bad for avoiding her for the rest of the day. She didn't deserve it.

I jumped down from the dirt and Val ran past me and jumped up on a cut tree trunk and began to grin endlessly. I laughed at her goofy face and she rolled her eyes. "Where did you disappear to after music? I couldn't find you anywhere."

 I shrugged. "I don't know. I just didn't want any attention drawn to me." I said under my breath. Val placed both of her hands on my shoulders and looked me straight in the eyes. 

"Listen to what I am saying Piper," she peered into my eyes in hopes that I would possibly take her seriously. "You are now the school's guitar legend. Legend. Everyone is talking about how talented the new girl is. You surpassed Mason's talent by a million, a trillion. Do you know what this means for you?"

"Being left alone." I deadpanned. 

Val shook me loose and stared at me again. "No, this is a chance at being popular. This means big things for you. Besides, there's nothing wrong with being liked for once in our lives." I sighed under my breath. I'm not sure why I would want to be popular. Being popular is nothing but a trophy and once we graduate no one will care. 

I began to look past Val and I noticed that Mason was coming. He was walking with his head slightly down, shoulders back and helmet in hand. He flipped his hair in his bad boy fashion and I could not fall for it. "Shit. Mason is coming." I said lowly. Val smiled and she didn't bother turning around to look at him. 

A wide smile grew on his face once he noticed that I saw him. I could see that he was smiling with his eyes. It makes me want to puke. Val slowly began to step away from me until we were both facing him and he had an opportunity to make his move. 

"Hello Piper." Mason's nonchalant tone annoyed me even more. Do I really have to repeat myself to this jerk?

"Do not call me Piper." I snapped.

"Calm down. I just wanted to say congrats. No one can play electric guitar like you in this school. Not even my lead guitarist." I cocked an eyebrow.

"You have a band?" Val blurted out.

Mason nodded. "Of course I have a band. Where have you been? Under a rock?"

Val folded her arms and squinted at him suspiciously. "What is it called? Ass wipe?" Val laughed. Mason glared at me. 

Mason cleared his throat loudly and crossed his arms. The big boy is getting frustrated. "No. Why are you here anyway? I need to talk to Piper." Val eyes narrowed at Mason. "Alone." He said coldly.

"If you can't take the heat then you need to stay away, Mason." Val jumped off the edge of the tree trunk and headed away from us. I laughed under my breath and looked at Mason. He does not know how to handle a girl with a little attitude. He definitely will not be able to handle me. 

I gripped my guitar and twiddled my fingers between the strap. "What do you want?" I asked adjusting my bag on my body. 

He began to shrug and let out a sigh of relief. "I want to talk to you about your guitar." 

"Okay...what about it? Do you want me to show you how to play, big boy?" I smirked. 

He shook his head amused. "No. I want you to be in my band. The lead." I looked at him shocked. A band. Not again.