Chapter 9

The rain was pounding against my bedroom window. Or that's what I had thought was going on. I lifted myself off my bed and I heard knocking on my door. I was still cold ever since last night. I opened the door and Val was standing there still in pajamas and an umbrella. She had her purse over her body and her hair in a ponytail.

"Hi Piper." Too cheerful for this time in the morning.

"Hi. What are you doing here so early Val?" I asked. She smiled and walked into my room. I shook my head and closed the door. She put her wet umbrella on the floor and she was sitting at my desk.

She looked up at me. "What happened last night?" Val asked and I tried so hard to not smile while I sat criss-cross on the floor.

"What do you want to know?" I asked.

"You know what I want to know. You and Mason and Jake. It's what everyone has been talking about at the party."

"Everyone sober." I mumbled. Val scooted my swivel chair over to me and looked at me expectantly.

"Jake was trying to kiss me and Mason punched the hell out of his jaw. So, when I went to talk to him we were talking about it. During that he proclaimed how much he liked me so now we are boyfriend and girlfriend." Val looked at me shocked.

"Was that really what happened?" I nodded and she looked at me confused.

"Yeah."

"Your mom told me something different. But, I guess her facts were just as good as mine yesterday. Very very clueless." I shook my head.

"What did my mom tell you?" I asked. Val stood up and shrugged.

"Nothing much. She just said that you two were all smoochy smoochy in his car before you came in the house yesterday. It's all from what she saw." Was my mom watching the entire time?

"We were not all smoochy smoochy it was just a kiss on the cheek. Nothing more. Nothing less."

"But, that's a different story now that you are with the Chance. I couldn't see him settling down with one girl. Just look at what happened with him and Ana. There is no way."

"Maybe. Maybe not. But, what's there to lose? I came here with nothing and leaving with nothing. So, if it does happen I would be just fine. Plus, Ana was a slut anyway." I said and I watched her look out the window of my room.

"You can totally see him sleeping." I yanked her leg away and she fell on top of me. I laughed and she rolled off me. Her perfect ponytail no more.

"Protective much?" She laughed and she fell back on the floor. I shook my head and I flopped down on my bed and Val joined me. She had a small carton of chocolate ice cream and she passed me a spoon out of her bag. I looked at her.

"Chocolate is a girls best friend," I grabbed the spoon from her. "Every girl should know that. Even you." She said opening the lid effortlessly. I dipped my spoon is and stuck the spoon in my mouth. Wow. It's been so long since I have had ice cream.

"The best right?" Val cooed dipping her spoon in again. I nodded and did the same. I looked at my alarm clock and it was just close to 11am and I was eating chocolate ice cream with my best friend.

"How did you get in my house anyway?" I asked.

"Your mom let me in. She's down there reading a book. Your mom doesn't look like the reading type at all." I shot up off my bed. My mom only reads when she is in like depression mode. Which is hardly ever.

"I will be right back. Stay in here and no being a creeper." She shrugged and at another spoonful of ice cream.

"No promises." I glared at her and then hurried down the hall. Noticing I only had on a sleeveless shirt and basketball shorts. I ran down the stairs to find my mother reading. She had tears streaming down her face. I sat down next to her and she dropped the book onto her lap.