24; 'You Were My Light In Life'

I turn to look at my phone, this the twelfth time it has rung in the past half an hour. I turned the volume off, so all that came from the small device was a dull buzzing that echoed through the oak table.

I pull the covers closer to my chin, staring out of my window into the bright day. The only time I left my room this week was the two days I was working this week. I didn't even go to school. I just didn't want to leave my room; I didn't want to see... him.

My phone buzzes with a text, catching my attention once again. I look at the name and see Liam's name flashing away. I sigh, reaching over lazily to grab it. I open it and look at the text, frowning as I scan over the words.

I'm about to answer when the screen flashes and the buzzing is consistent, indicating a call. Liam's name appeared again, so I answered it. "Mhm?"

"Zoe, you need to get out of bed," he says, concern lacing every syllable. I roll my eyes, curling further into my covers. "Seriously, this isn't healthy," he says seriously, and I realized that he was outside. I climbed out of bed and looked out of my window, seeing Liam and Paige leaning against Paige's car, looking up at my window.

I smile at them, and see hope in their eyes before I drop the blinds, covering my window. The room darkens and I climb back into bed, my phone still pressed against my ear. Now Paige's soft voice echoes through the phone. "Just an hour, and I promise we'll bring you home." I sigh sadly, knowing how hard they were trying.

"Fine," I mumble, my voice strained and coarse as I spoke. It's been nearly two weeks since I'd properly spoken to anyone, and it took a tole on my vocal chords. "Give me 5 minutes." With that I hang up, looking at my screen once again. I see the missed calls from Blake and grimace, deleting the call log so that I didn't have to see his name.

A couple of days ago it stopped aching and just become completely numb. It was the day that I saw Neel and realized I missed the guy he was before he knew Blake and I were falling... well, lets just say I missed the bubbly guy who spoke so fondly of sting rays. I also realize how much he looked like Blake, but how much he wasn't Blake. I think that's the moment I went numb.

For the first week I simply sobbed to myself, curled up in my bed. My door was locked and every night I cried myself to sleep. I must have been a little in denial because I tried to convince myself that it was worth ignoring and trying to move on. Now I realize that there's no point in trying anymore. I started to leave my bedroom less and less, and this was the first time in two days I was going to see something other than my four walls.

I get up and throw on a pair of leggings. I pull a cami top over my head, then covering that with a baggy, woolen jumper. I throw on a pair of old converse, lacing them up to my ankle. I try and tame my hair, pulling it into a large, messy bun that resembled a crows nest. I readjust my glasses, not bothering to put make up on. I flinch a little when I see myself in the mirror, seeing now how much I really had let go, but shrug it off, grabbing my phone and purse, leaving my room.

"Hey," a voice says softly from behind me. I could hear the surprise in his voice, obviously not prepared to see me out of my room.

I turn to look at him, nodding in his direction. "Toby," I mumble, nothing on my face. No smile, no frown, nothing. I felt nothing.

"Are you going out?" He asked, obviously trying not to sound shocked, but the look on his face gave him away.

"Yeah. Liam and Paige won't let me be. I'll be back in an hour," I mumble, scratching my cheek.

He looks at me for a moment before making his way over to me. He wraps his arms around me, and I weakly repay the offer, seeing how much my change has actually effected him. "Call me if you need anything, and I mean anything. Got it?" He whispers, holding me tightly.