Chapter 50

I already feel my head ache setting in as I can tell by the look on Harry's face that he is not sad, but he is angry. No not angry, he's fuming. I take in a deep breath as I have no idea what I am about to endure...

"Harry, are you okay?" I ask quietly as if I speak to loud it may make him snap though I don't blame him. He just found out his dad has cancer by someone he absolutely despises.

"Am I okay Ella? Are you fucking kidding me right now?" he spits taking a step out of the doorway and I step back in hesitance, the smell of liquor following Harry with every step.

"I know, I'm sorry, I didn't mean- it's hard but I just want you to know that I'm here for you Harry. Whatever you need I-" I step towards him in hope he'll take my support but instead he brushes past me and starts pacing in front of the house.

"Whatever I need?" he asks, stopping with a fake smile that I know is being fuelled by anger, "How about when I needed you to tell me what was actually going on with my dad!"

He yells at me and I go to speak in defence but he beats me to it as he continues his rant.

"Fuck. How long have you actually known for? How fucking long have you been hiding this behind my back?!"

"I wasn't hiding anything" I shake my head in protest though he doesn't buy a bar of it.

"Everyone was fucking hiding it! Even Dan!" he yells, his hands being used in exaggeration.

"No we weren't hiding it we were just waiting for the right time"

"Oh fuck off! You were supposed to be my fucking girlfriend."

Were? My heart stings a little but I let it go as I know it is just a slip in the heat of the moment.

"Harry it wasn't my place to say!" I speak a little louder hoping he hears my words.

"My dad has cancer Ella! And you don't think you should have told me that? Fuck, I thought out of all people I could trust you" he lifts his hands to me then drops them, his hands immediately turning to fists.

"You can trust me" I say taking a small step closer to him though he mirrors me and steps back.

"No I fucking can't, you're just like her!" he shouts and with that I feel myself instantly wanting to crawl into a ball and hide.

I can't believe he just compared me to her. I'm nothing like Vanessa, and I would never dare hurt Harry like that.

"You're just saying this cause you're upset as well as drunk Harry" I say quietly, praying it's his anger talking and not his real thoughts.

"No I'm not. I fucking knew you were just like her! You all fucking are. Always keeping secrets, always talking behind my back. Fuck, what's the bet you and Dan were meeting up and discussing this shit about my dad and who knows what else!"

"Are you crazy? Harry I would never do that to you, please stop. Let's go inside and we can talk-" I attempt to grab his arm but he pulls away with a deep scowl set on his face.

"Fuck off and go talk to Dan" he mutters stepping around me and walking towards the door.

I stand a few metres from his front door watching him go back inside, letting him spit out whatever nasty things that make him feel better. I know he's angry right now and if this is how he needs to express himself then I will be his punching bag for however long he needs. Everyone reacts differently to tragic news. Some distance themselves, some offer more than enough support, some cry, hold it together, laugh it off, withdraw them self, stay in denial, and some release their stress through anger. In a day or two, he will have hopefully calmed down over the initial shock though it still upsets me to see him this way. He's so angry he won't even see reason.