Carter

A year and a half after the outbreak:
"Carter baby, it's time to get up. We have to go now. The bad people are starting to come. " I scooped him up running out of the grocery store and heading for the car. Walkers, or zombies whatever you prefer, were clawing at the windows of the car. "Make them stop sissy." Carter said crying in fear. I started the engine and sped down the gravel road. A while later the car started to slow down until it came to a stop. I looked at the gas which was on 'E'. "Dammit." I got out of the car and around to the trunk to get out Carter's stroller. I grabbed the bags and Carter and put then in the stroller. "What happen to the car?" Asked Carter. "No more gas sweet pea. We used the last can of it this morning. Now we have to start walking.. Again." We were pretty much in the middle of no where. I looked around only to see trees and bushes. After walking for a while I heard something behind me. I turned around to see a horde of walkers coming towards us. I started running as fast as I could with the stroller. We stopped long enough for me to cover Carter's stroller with a blanket and tell him that he has to be very quite. I ran the opposite direction leading them away from Carter. "Come on you assholes! " I yelled pulling out my gun. When all of them were dead I started walking back to Carter's stroller. I heard a branch snap and pulled out my gun aiming for whatever was behind me. It was Carter. "Owe sissy!" He sobbed. "It hurts." He began balling and holding his leg. I walked over to him to look at his leg and sure enough, it was a bite. I began crying with him. 'Im only scaring him by crying.' I thought to myself. "Carter baby, are you ready to go see mommy, daddy, and zoey?" "What about you sissy?" He said in a almost hushed voice which most likely meant he was starting to die. "I'll be there someday." I said smiling with tears rolling down my face. "I'm gonna miss you sissy." "Baby boy, I'm gonna miss you too." I began sobbing. I closed my eyes for a moment and then opened them when I felt his breathing stop. "Carter?" "Noooo..." I began crying harder. The sound of crunching leaves caught my attention. I turned around quickly pointing my gun to the figure. A boy who looked around my age with electric blue eyes and a sheriffs hat on his head. "Get the hell away from us." I snarled and turned back around to look at Carter. "Daryl! Michonne! I found something." The boy shouted and the sound of foot steps followed. A man with a crossbow and a women with a sword stared down at me and Carter. "A little privacy would be nice." I said in an emotionless voice. The cross bow man put his hand on my shoulder. Quickly I turned around and pointed my gun to him. Just when I was about to shoot I heard a moan come from my lap. I turned my head and Carter's eyes opened. The boy readied his gun. "No! " I shouted. I backed away from Carter and got to my feet. He stood up and slowly began walking towards more. I knelt down to his height with the gun in my hand. "Baby boy, I love y-" I was cut off by the sound of a gun shot and Carter's body fell to the ground. I whipped my head around to see the boy holding his gun in perfect alinement to Carter's head. I pounced on top of him tackling him to the ground. "You son of a bitch!" I raised my fist, but the women with the sword caught it and pulled me back. I fell on the ground next to Carter and started running my fingers through his soft brown hair. "Noooooo.." I said over and over again. I started screaming which attracted walkers. Cross bow man picked me up over his shoulders while the woman grabbed Carter's dead body, and the boy grabbed the stroller.

I woke up in what looked like a bunk bed. I was hand cuffed to the bed. "What the hell?" I looked around and then suddenly remembered what had happened. "Hey!" I screamed. "Get me out of here now!" I started crying again. A man with a prosthetic leg came walking in followed my a man with curly hair and blue eyes just like the boy that shot my brother. My brother. "Carter?! Let me go!" I was snotting at this point. The man with curly hair unhand cuffed me from the bed. I ran out of the room, and a group of people were staring at me and then back at a card board box. I walked closer looking inside. Carter. Crying, I picked up the lifeless body and cradled him in my arms. It was silent. "We dug a grave for him." The man with curly hair said with a look of sadness. I nodded my head trying to process everything that happened today. I walked outside. A prison is what it looked like. "My names Rick." The man said. "Brooke." I said not making eye contact. I couldn't take my eyes off of Carter. When we arrived at the grave, I took off my heart necklace that my mom gave me when I was his age. I put it around his neck and kissed his head. I wrapped him in a white sheet and placed him carefully into the ground. "Tell mommy and everyone that I love them." I whispered to myself, but I guess I didn't whisper low enough because that boy said "Your whole family is dead?" "Yes." I said with no emotion, at all.