Hero

Carl's POV:
I'd like to say that there was a part of me that believed Brooke set up the trap, and another part that told me she didn't. But that note? "What do you think we should do with her?" Dad asked. "I think we should send her off. She can take care of herself." Bob chimed in. "Did you even talk to her?" Beth protested. "Not yet. I guess I should-" I cut him off. "No. I'll do it." All eyes on me, confused and in shock- minus Beth's. I gave a nod to her and headed over to Brooke. She was focused on the ground beneath her, refusing to look up. "Did you do it?" I questioned rather harshly. She shook her head no. "But the note-" She glared into my eyes. Man, if looks could kill. "Lizzie framed me." She seethed through her gritted teeth. "Why? It doesn't make since?" I thought her and Lizzie were friends.. Maybe I was wrong. "Oh it makes perfect since. See I'm here, alive, breathing. Apparently I was suppose to die on our 'adventure.'" She chuckled humorously to herself. "But now I'm here, and she wants me gone." She said sternly. "I-I believe you." I know how psychotic Lizzie is. The stares she used to, and still is, giving me. "A little late now aren't we?" She says sarcastically. "I know, I'm sorry. I don't even know why I thought that you would've done that..." She gazed into my eyes. I couldn't make out her emotion. Sad, mad, happy, furious? That's the thing about her: she's hard to figure out. It drives me crazy sometimes.

Brooke's POV:
"Carl?" I say for the billionth time. Finally, he looks my way. "Hm?" He asked. I swear, sometimes I just wanna smack those adorable light, brown freckles off his gorgeous face. "Get me outta here." I pleaded. He squeezed his eyes shut and sighed. "I can't. My dad-" A scream cut him off.

Mika's scream.

"I gotta go!" He sped off back to the camp ground leaving me here.. alone. To my left I noticed a shiny, pointy object. I kicked by boot off as well as my socks and reached towards it. After uncovering a few leaves, I realized it was a piece of glass.

Freedom

I grinned slightly as I grabbed the piece of glass with my toes, cutting my foot in the process. I positioned my right leg, which had the glass in it, to where I could grab it with my right hand. Once I felt that the glass was in my hands, it took no time sawing away at the rope.

About ten minutes later the ropes were cut. I rubbed my swollen, bloody wrists while standing up. I slipped back on my socks and boot, cringing at the sight of my blood. I picked up the shard of glass and slowly walked into the woods. I had to know what was going on, and what better way to do that than eavesdropping? I stopped when I heard muffled voices a few yards away. I hid in a bush when the footsteps grew closer. "The Governor would've been so proud of you." I heard a man say. Who is he talking to? "I promised him, didn't I?" Lizzie. That little- I could kill her. No, I will kill her. "You know the rest of the plan right?" He asked her. She grunted with annoyance and replied, "Yes, Martinez. She's annoying anyway." He chuckled softly before walking away. What was her plan? And who's annoying? I'm guessing it's me.. Once she walked away I emerged from the bushes and proceeded in sneaking around.

"It wasn't Brooke." I heard Mika say. "How do you know? Were you with her?" I heard Glenn ask. Really Glenn? "Well, no.. But I know she didn't do it. She's like a sister to me-" Lizzie cut her off. "I'm your sister. She tried to hurt Carl, and she wouldn't hesitate to hurt you on purpose next time." Mika gasped and shook her head. "Brooke wouldn't do that. She's not that kind of person." Daryl chimed in to my surprise. He still cared about me. I couldn't help but smile at his defense for me. "Who was with her yesterday?" Rick asked. "She was with me for a good while." Maggie raised her hand. "We hung out for about an hour or two." Beth added. "She easily could've slipped away when she wasn't with you two." Rick protested. "She was with me too. C'mon Rick." Daryl grunted. "I'm sorry I just don't-" Carl piped up, "I was with her." No one spoke, just stared shockingly. "What do you mean?" Michonne asked. "I mean we were together. Like as boyfriend and girlfriend. She wouldn't hurt me." He spoke with so much confidence it sent chills down my body. "We'll discuss this later. As of now do your chores." Rick instructed. "Hey Mika, wanna go pick some flowers?" I heard Lizzie ask. "Sure. Let me go talk to Brooke first." Oh shit. I darted back to where I was before and quickly sat down.

"Hey!" Mika exclaimed. I nodded and smiled. "I know you didn't do this." She pointed to her ankle wrapped in gauze. "How do you know?" I questioned. "Because I know you. You're not that kind of person." She beamed. God she was a beautiful little girl. Her warm brown eyes, long golden hair, small freckles on the bridge of her nose. "We're gonna get through this ya know?" Her voice was so confident for her age. "No, I don't." I admitted. I honestly don't know if there will ever be a cure for this. "Well you should. All you need is to be confident and have hope. I bet if the blue eyed boy would've had hope, he could've gotten back together with the brown eyed girl.." Her voice trailed off. I remember the day I told her that story. It was intense. I remember the was my palms sweated while telling it. "You're gonna miss me when I'm gone." She never lost her smile, it just shined brighter. "Don't say that Mika. I'm going to die before you." I shook my head at her statement. No way was I going to let that happen. Not on my watch anyways. "It's bound to happen someday. I just hope that when it does... I leave the world knowing I did something heroic. I just want to save the people I love. I don't want anyone to die anymore." Her smile slightly faded. "I'm going to pick flowers with Lizzie. I'll talk to you later." She gave me a brief hug and ran back to the campground. "Yeah, bye." I said to no one in particular.

I've been sitting here for about two hours, the sun slowly going down. I almost fell asleep when I hear it.

A scream, a little girl's scream.

I stood up from my spot and went in the direction that Lizzie and Mika went. As I ran, I noticed the rest of the group following behind me. When we arrived, everything seemed to happen in slow motion.

Lizzie grabbed her gun and aimed it at Carl.
No, no, no.
Her finger flinched, and the bullet exited the 360 degree hole.
The bullet was getting closer and closer to Carl.
Just as it was about to lodge itself in him, Mika jumped out in front of Carl, the bullet going clean into her chest.

Time caught up to us, and we came to our senses. Carl dropped down to Mika while I hurdled myself towards Lizzie. I retrieved my knife from my boot and brought it to her throat. "She was so annoying." Lizzie chuckled evilly. "You crazy son of a bitch!" I pressed the knife down harder causing her to gasp. "Wanna know the beautiful thing about life? Once you're gone, you don't have to come back." She whispered and stabbed herself in the heart.

"Brooke!" Carl cried. I looked up from Lizzie to see Mika. She was pale and on the verge of death. "Oh Mika!" I went to her side and squeezed her small hands. "Don't go. Please." I whispered as I caressed her delicate cheek. "At least I'll die knowing I did something heroic." She smiled. Even at her death bed, she couldn't have been happier. "Tell me a final bedtime story." She said while closing her eyes. I nodded my head even though she couldn't see. "T-there was a little girl. She had golden locks and a smile that could save the world from depression. She was so strong and brave. No matter how hard situations were she was always so positive that there'd be a solution. She never gave up on anyone. Never left anyone behind. The day of her death.. The whole world seemed to die with her. People say she's still here, in this world. They say she roams the world, putting smiles on everyone's faces. They say that she's there when you least expect it. She could be a relative, friend, stranger. Though she could be easily identified if you knew of this story. Some called her a friend, others called her a guardian angle, but me... I call her Mika."