Moving On

Midnight kisses
Fingers intertwined
Irregular heartbeats

The last thing I had kept from the old world was gone. My innocence: completely and utterly gone. To no other than Carl Grimes, and no, I am not ashamed. I've come to realization that I am no longer the same 13 year old little girl when this all had started. I'm a young women, and it is my duty to protect the ones I love. Even if that means sacrificing my own life. I glanced down at my pocket watch.

9:46 am

I sighed heavily before waking Carl up. "Carl. Wake up." I whispered. He groaned slightly but never managed to actually get up. I hope he wasn't to drunk last night. What if he didn't want to do.. That? Did I pressure him? I sighed once again and sat up. I figured I'd just try waking him up again at 10am. As I stood up a sharp, unbearable pain shot up into the temples my head. Oh god, the pain. Otherwise known as a hangover.

9:50 am

I grinned slightly while stroking the piano's dust covered keys. I knew exactly what song I longed to play..

"The situation turns around
Enough to figure out
That someone else has let you down
So many times
I don't know why

But I know we can make it as long as you say it

So tell me that you love me yeah
And tell me that I take your breath away
And maybe if you take one more then I would know for sure
There's nothing left to say
Tell me that you love me anyway..."

"So beautiful." A blush crept it's way onto my raw, tan cheeks. "I was just about to wake you up." My voice was shaky, and I was quite nervous to speak with him. Why am I so scared? I've talked to him before so why is this awkward? "We should probably get going. We're close to the highway so we should probably get there around 3:00." His face was beat red, and he was holding his face in his hands. "Hangover?" I questioned. He nodded and added a manly grown.

10:23 am

We walked in uncomfortable silence. Both of us about 3 feet away from each other. Was last night a mistake? Ugh how could I have been so stupid?! Calm down Brooke, just calm down. Remember what mama used to say, "It takes two." She was always so wise, had such a big heart. I miss her so much. I wonder what would've happened if she were here for my birthday. Most likely she would've invited everyone from school, reserved a ballroom, bragged to everyone about how wonderful I am, but that's just the way she was. And I'm not wonderful, I'm not innocent, I'm not a hero, I'm just.. A survivor.

11:32 am

The trees all around made the sky look duller than it already was. "Looks like it'll rain soon." Were my first words since this morning. He nodded reluctantly but stayed quiet. "Are you hungry?" Again, he simply nodded. I handed him a granola bar from inside the bag. I watched him as he removed the wrapper, and began eating. He was taking huge bites, and in the process, making hilarious faces. I chuckled lowly as he swallowed. This brought back memories from.. That day. The day of our adventure. The day we were separated. The day I was reunited with Rosita. When Eugene's hand was amputated. When we had to go back to the prison. When Carl kissed Lizzie. The dream. The dream. The dream! "Who do you think bombed the prison?" I blurted. He instantly began coughing on his food. He swallowed hard and looked up at me. "Don't know." He stated bluntly. "Oh." Why is this so awkward?

1:15 pm

One step, two step, three step, four step, five, six, seven, oh my gosh. So much freaking walking. I don't know if I can keep this up much longer. Plus it's getting colder out and I'm freezing. Me and Carl's shoulders were now connected, both of our teeth chattering. "You cold?" He asked. "Ugh.. Y-yeah." Damnit. I stuttered. He slipped his arm around my shoulders, closing the gap between our cold bodies. I smiled to myself, and suddenly I was no longer bothered with walking.

2:08 pm

We've been in the same position for quite a while. I can't wait to get to the highway. I can't wait to see Daryl. If he got out.. No he had to. He's Daryl, and only Daryl can kill Daryl. Right? "Was last night... Okay with you?" I have to know if that's what's bothering him. "Yeah. Why wouldn't it be?" He snapped. Um okay? Does he not want to be questioned? I swear, he's like bipolar. "I was just making sure. I thought that I might have pressured you." I said gently. "No. You didn't. I make my own choices." He said harshly. I shrugged off his arm and started walking ahead of him. "Is there a problem?" He asked sarcastically. "What the hell is wrong with you?! Why are you acting like, like this?! One minute you're fine and then the next.. What the hell?" I blurted. "I don't have a problem! I'm just tired of being questioned!" Okay so maybe I did ask a bit of questions today but still. He has no right to have mood swings like that- "Walker!" Carl yelled, eyes popping out of his head. I spun around on my heel to be faced with the most disgusting creator to have ever walked the earth; a walker. I stabbed my dirty knife into the corpse's eye. "C'mon!" Carl grabbed my hand and lead me through the woods to a cabin. The same cabin from when we escaped the prison after The Governor came. As we ran I looked around at my surrounding. We must have attracted a horde with our yelling. Once we approached the front door, we barged in, not bothering to be cautious. Big mistake. A walker grabbed Carl's ankle, causing him to crash to the ground. I reached for the gun in my holster and shot the walker. His body fell limp as blood poured from the bullet hole. Carl stood up from the ground, dusted him self off, and turned to me. I expected him to yell at me, but he didn't. I expected him to hit me, but no. He didn't. Instead he grabbed the back of my neck and kissed me tenderly. His lips were salty and had the metallically taste of blood. Eventually we pulled away, both out of breath. "You've gotten better." I giggled. "I've been practicing." He smirked. "On what?" I asked sternly. "Calm down." He reassured. "My pillow." He blushed lightly. I pinched his cheeks and pecked his lips. "Oh, and lets not tell the others about us getting back together. Remember how they reacted last time they caught us kissing?" He nodded. "So just act like we hate each other?" He asked. "Yes." I smiled. "We should get going." He said. "Yeah, but first I have a better idea." I smiled widely. He arched his eye brows, questioning my statement. "Let's burn this place down."

We stood about 20 feet away from the, now, burning cabin admiring our work. "C'mon. Let's get to our family." He intertwined our beaten and bloody hands, leading me to the highway.

Daryl's POV:

3:06 pm

"You said they'd be here by now." I snarled at Rick. "They will. I know they will." He calmly stated. "We would've all been together if you wouldn't have let her go!" I yelled directly to Beth. No one knew, but we were secretly dating. "She said she was looking for Carl!" She hollered back to me. I growled at the thought of Brooke and Carl, together, alone, no adults. Though they are fighting right now.. No. Brooke wouldn't do anything like that. Just then, the bushes began to rattle. Everyone readied their weapons, prepared for what was about to come. Suddenly, Brooke and Carl emerged from the bushes. Both of their eyes were bloodshot red and they smelt like.. alcohol? Brooke's eyes searched the crowd and once they landed on mine, she ran into my arms. I squeezed the life out of her as she laughed lightly. "How's it feel to have a hangover?" I asked referring to the smell of wine. Her eyes popped out of her head before they calmed down a bit. "Hurts like hell, but it was worth it." She smiled. Thank God she's okay.