Blue Eyed Boy

Night time approached and I was on watch in the cell block, making sure everyone stayed in their cells. I passed by Lizzie and Mika's cell when Mika stopped me. "Brooke?" She asked. "Yes? Are you alright?" I asked. "Can you tell me a story? My mom used to tell me stories before she- Can you please?" She pleaded. "Of course. What would you like to hear?" I smiled. "Hmm? A love story." She smiled. My heart kind of dropped a little, but I proceeded. "Once there was a blue eyed boy and a brown eyed girl. At first they were best friends, but they both secretly loved each other with all their hearts. They made a promise to each other, they kept it. They loved each other unconditionally until one day the blue eyed boy made a mistake. They never really talked after that, and the brown eyed girl realized that they could no longer be lovers or best friends. Or friends in general because it hurt her heart." I paused. "What about the boy?" She asked with her full and undivided attention on me. "The boy that once had bright blue eyes and a smile that could light up the whole town, suddenly turned into a frown and his blue eyes turned black. No one noticed. No one asked why. Now that happy boys life has passed by." Mika shuddered as the story ended. "You should get some sleep." I kissed her forehead and sent her to her slumber.

I made my way down the hall to the next cell which was Carl's. He was already peacefully asleep. I couldn't help but smile at the blue eyed boy before me. But he is no longer happy and no longer contains a smile. His eyes aren't like the sky anymore. They're more like the ocean, and not the beautiful blue part by the shore, but the darker blue in the deep abyss. He stirred in his sleep, and I quickly left his cell, making my way to mine. I crawled into the uneven bed, pulled the scratchy cover up to my shoulders, and dozed off.

•••dream•••
I'm running. Fast too. So fast that all I can see is blurred outlines of trees and bushes around me. I smell smoke. It's filling up in my lungs, and I-I can't b-breath. I'm falling. The darkness is closing in around me, and the last thing I see is the outline of a person.
He's coming closer, and I can faintly see his face. His blue eyes stand out more that anything. I know who it is. My savior.
•••dream over•••

"Brooke wake up!" Carl was shaking me. "I-it's you? It's you!" My hair was stuck to my face due to sweat while my eyes were watery and could burst into tears any minutes. "What do you mean it's me?" He asked calmly. "You saved me. In my dream! I saw more and you saved me! I have to go back to sleep! I have to know what happens!" I exclaimed. He grabbed both my wrists and looked me dead in the eye. "Brooke, It's just a dream." He whispered. "No it's not. I know it's not." My voice was cracked. He shook his head. "Am I crazy?" I broke down. Oh god why here? Why now? And why in front of Carl? "Shh. You're not crazy. You're just scared," he paused and leaned in. "I am too." He whispered. His warm breath on my lips made me melt. I began breathing heavier as his face inched closer to mine. I looked at the lips of the blue eyed boy once more before he swallowed a lump in his throat and turned away. We sat in silence before he eventually got up and left me hear in deep thought of the blue eyed boy.